Berna Clamp Question

I have noted several references to Berna Clamps over the last few months. I have found them on the internet. I was wondering if the experienced users would suggest what sizes they would recommend.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Bruce Apple

"Count DeMoney" wrote

I was worn down by Mr. Berna's hard-sell at Columbus in '97 and bought several. Frankly they are of only moderate utility in my mind. Yeah, they pretty much work as advertised. They are good for only light to medium force clamping. With a heavy force they slip or twist, but a heavy force can also distorted what you are clamping so that's maybe not a big deal. I just don't have a lot of call for stuff to be clamped. Most kits these days don't need it.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Uhm, from Connecticut to Virginia via Japan. It will cost a lot in stamps, I suppose.

Luca Beato

I'd suggest starting with the basic set of three - two short ones, and one long one (if I remember right; I like to buy them that way when I can). After that, it depends on what your favorite scale/subject to model is and how many kits you like to build at once.

I like 1/32 aircraft, so I can't get enough of the longer ones. But for

1/48 aircraft subjects, having more short ones than long ones would be just fine, I'd think.

Bottom line is that they work so well you can never have enough of them. One of my favorite tools...next to my Flexi-File, and dental cavity file.

Reply to
Rufus

Roll Models (in the USA) sells that set for $14.50, and also sells them individually. Model Expo (in the USA) also carries them individually - large ones for $5.99, and small ones for $4.99.

Also look for places that carry/stock Zona tools - I believe they are the parent distributor.

Reply to
Rufus

That's what I used to think...but I've found that since I've been using my Bernas religiously, I've been using a LOT less putty...the joins sort of "putty themselves" under pressure...

...even so, I keep a tube or two of Tamiya putty on hand.

Reply to
Rufus