Best base coats/undercoats for yellow, red, etc

What are the best undercoats to use for the problem coverage colors?

white and silver for red?

white/silver for yellow?

what works for you all?

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

FWIW Anytime I have large areas of light colors I try to use a flat white as a primer.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

in article snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net, [NWilliam H. ShueyAME] at snipped-for-privacy@starpower.net wrote on 4/14/05 12:44 PM:

There are some good ones available but I generally use the old Reefer White from Floquil. I certainly use it as a primer for yellow.

Milton

Reply to
Milton Bell

I'm with Bill on this one, flat white usually covers really well and as reds and yellows are sometimes translucent, it evens out the finish, even works well with gloss reds and yellows.

Happy modelling Ant

Reply to
Ant Phillips

Yes, but if the red isn't completely opaque you could wind up with a metallic red over silver.

I prefer a matte gold under yellow.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

I just did a '60 Ford in yellow. Since it was the Craftsman kit it came in blue plastic. I used a flat white under the yellow. That worked quite nicely. Now I have to steel myself for the long job of BMFing it.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Tamiya flat white is what I use under Tamiya yellow, and I suppose I'd use the white under Tamiya red as well, but I haven't had any reason to use a lot of red yet. I like the Tamiya white because it has excellent opacity.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I am sold on Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo gray and white primers in the spray cans. A thin coat of grey evens out different colors on the model, then a coat of white sets it up for the color coat. The white primer actually makes a decent top coat. It polishes out very well. Curt

Reply to
Curt