British Roundals

Could anybody please direct me to any sight that shows the different types
of British roundals so I can correctly identifie the ones i need to order to
compleat my latest masterpiece.
Thanks
Reply to
Rory Manton
Any help?
Reply to
Darren J Longhorn
Please be aware that the designations of 'TypeA', 'Type B' etc are not official designations.
IIRC they were made up by Ian Huntley to differentiate between the 4 major types - and have become common usage - but they are not official.
I can't remember where I read but I do remember being surprised - as I had always assumed they were the designations used by the relevant ministries - but apparently not.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -

Ken Duffey
Probably too logical for government ministries... :)
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
FWIW It should also be noted that all the roundels shown on the website at present (12/01/2003) are shown in the pre-World War II bright red color. This color, and the brighter blue of the 1920s-30s was replaced by a darker red in the 1939 specs. Some companies, notably Gloster, had large supplies of the pre-war colors and continued to use them into 1941. There are relics of Gloster built Hurricanes that were shot down in the Battle of Britain and their roundels were in the pre-war colors. Most Gladiators, unless re-painted in an RAF shop, should have roundels in the brighter colors.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
in article snipped-for-privacy@flankerman.fsnet.co.uk, Ken Duffey at snipped-for-privacy@flankerman.fsnet.co.uk wrote on 30/11/03 22:30:
Thats great, thanks. I did know that they wer unofficil but now they are pritty well known by those desegnations.
Reply to
Rory Manton