C47 colours

Hi all - I'm building an R/C C47 model to take part in a 60th anniversary of VE day celebration (see

modelling it on one of the aircraft of the 315th Troop Carrier Group that was based at Spanhoe

1944/45. I have access to several contemporary photos, but they're all black and white. While this is OK for the invasion stripes :-) can anyone help with the correct upper and lower surface colours? It's a large model (82inch span) so Humbrol tinlets won't be enough, but if there are appropriate Humbrol or similar colours I can use them to colour match larger quantities. TIA, David
Reply to
David Williams

correct upper and lower surface colours?

Upper surfaces were all olive drab. I am at work or would give you the mil spec shade number. The under surface was dove gray. Again, I don't have the mil spec. Maybe someone reading this has the shade numbers for you.

Reply to
Charlie Funk

All American Daks were painted Olive Drab over Neutral Grey. Some had dark green patches on the leading edges of all flying surfaces, and all but the newest were heavily faded and weathered by the time VE day rolled around. Go to town :)

has colour charts here:
one you wnat to use is

Jeff C

Talk to these guys:

Kjell Aanvik

Thanks all - explains my confusion at Humbrol having two Olive drabs - numbers 66 and 155. The greener one is pre '43 and the greyer/blacker one is post '43, so as Spanhoe was only operational in '44 and '45 I guess it's the grey one.... David

Reply to
David Williams

Thanks Kjell, very impressive.

Reply to
David Williams

Oh - and - er - can anyone help with the zinc chromate primer type colour that I am assuming would be visible in the wheel wells and flap bays? Is Humbrol cockpit green anywhere near or too dark? I dimly remember reading somewhere that British and American aircraft have different greeny/yellow colours in cockpit interiors etc.

Thanks again, David

Reply to
David Williams

The Brit green is darker. The chromate has more yellow in it. You could try mixing your own from green and yellow. You should be able to get pretty close.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

YOu may be able to buy the zinc chromate spray in an auto paint store. Available here in Canada at CTC. Gord MAAC6694

"David Williams" wrote in message news:42125b94@212.67.96.135...

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Thanks for confirming what I thought Paul.

Reply to
David Williams