building an R/C paraglider

OK. I'm building this paraglider from scratch - mostly....

Canopy wise, I'm either constructing my own using ripstop nylon covering and thin foamboard ribs or I will simply use a kite like the ParaStunter Tempest 4.5'.

I plan to use spider wire fishing line for the lines. Still haven't worked out the details on a gondola to hold everything.

I'm looking at a payload of the receiver batt., receiver, two servos, some sort of frame, motor, prop, motor battery, 2.4GHz camera, and camera battery.

But my question today is what size motor and prop will something like this require?

TIA

-Harold

Reply to
hhmousekillthespam

Why reinvent the wheel?

Don Hatten

Because reinventing the wheel is half the fun in this hobby. But anyways on their website it says How high can you fly? The regulations for the R/C hobbyist will limit you to 400 ft.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Whoops, hit send by accident. What I wanted to know was who's regulation is this? AMA says 400ft within 3 miles of an airport, but I don't know if they have any other limit.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

But at least he can get the info he wants at that site (load carrying ability, engine size, etc.)

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Ah, I see now. You mean benchmarking.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote: | Don wrote: | | >>How high can you fly? | >>The regulations for the R/C hobbyist will limit you to 400 ft.

This sort of thing will be very location dependant.

400' is the limit suggested by the AMA if you're close to an airport. I'm not sure if the figure comes from the FAA or not, but certainly you don't want to interfere with full sized planes, ever.

Away from an airport, I think you can go as high as you want as long as you stay out of restricted airspace (which will vary) or Class A airspace, which is often at 18,000 feet. (Not that you can see your plane when it's three miles up, but ...)

| > OOps' had my Sky Surfer up to 1200' according to my altimeter | > watch that was strapped to it.

You sure? The Sky Surfer doesn't look like the sort of plane that could even get that high up on one charge, especially with added weight.

| I thought teh ceiling was more like 3,000 ft. away from airports etc.

I doubt it. Of course, you probably can't even see your plane at

3,000 feet without binoculars so it's a moot point.
Reply to
Doug McLaren

Pretty sure, I modified mine a bit but installing lighter weight 72mhz radio and esc/bec. I also replaced the stock 270 motor with a 330. Then to lighten it even more I built up some li-po battery packs for it. At 1200 feet it was a tiny little thing up there. I also had some good updrafts that day. I did zero the watch before I sent it up. It records the highest altitude. I tested the watch yesterday in my Cessna. I zeroed it at the airport then took off. I compared it to the aircraft altimeter. The watch would read appx. 100 feet higher than the airplane. With that in mind I guess the paraplane may have only gone to 1100 feet. In any case, I was impressed.

Reply to
Don

1 kilometer? Thats not impossible for a decent sized sailplane.

I have certainly been able to see ordinary sized stuff at 500m. Its a bit tricky to tell which way its going tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher