Can anyone offer advice on scratchbuilding?

Got that one on tape and IIRC, it was "Ironclads".

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

About 10 years ago, Dumas made a Monitor and Merrimack kit IIRC in 1/72 scale, with Merrimack almost 4' long

Mostly Vacuformed, I think, with wood keel and bulkhead inside: For electric power. See if you can get that kit, or just the plans

** mike **
Reply to
mike

I'm not the least bit interested in the Merrimack. Period.

It isn't the same ship as the Virginia. Period.

Thanks, but totally unhelpful.

Reply to
The Evil Tessmacher

Don't buy any models of the Hampton Roads battle until they change the name of the southern ironclad to the Virginia, junior.

Reply to
willshak

shrug: That was the name on the Box.

And it wasn't the steam Frigate, but that ironclad.

Plans are always helpful. The Kit hull could be pantagraphed to whatever scale wanted to foam which can then be 'glassed, and is more scale than the old Pyro/Lindberg offering, and is set for R/C already, so it will have the proper prop angle and other details you're lacking.

Have you built any R/C boats before? Don't turn down help from those who have.

** mike **
Reply to
mike

Tessmacher, you will learn in this forum that if you ask for help and then ridicule attempts at help, the next time you ask, there won't be any help. It's best to try to glean from suggestions what may work for you and your project. Granted, not all suggestions are helpful; it's your job to find the jewel among the rest of the stuff out there.

On the other hand, if you'd prefer re-invent the wheel yourself, then I don't know why you bother posting questions here.

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

March/April 1988. There is a cover shot of the model- only SIS article I ever got a cover shot for :-)

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Ridicule?

By stating that what was offered didn't quite meet my needs?

I'm supposed to gleefully accept advice about rockets, when I clearly asked about trucks?

Excuse me, and I am really sorry if this offends you, but I just don't see the need to have such a thin skin.

Be that as it may, and it's only your opinion, I had thought that there would be some reasonable stuff here. And I was right. I prefer to look for the good, rather than for the bad. But when something doesn't quite work, I always feel it best to say so, rather than keeping people wondering. And if you'll look, I did thank Mike for his advice. I know that here on Usenet, one cannot always transmit what one already knows, but by golly, when you ask a specific question, and get answers that are totally unrelated to that question, it helps to say something, lest the thread go off in a differing direction! But I appreciate your little lecture on how to read a newsgroup. Thank you! :)

I've been involved in R/C off and on for the last 20 years. Way back in high school, when I built my first trainer airplane, I knew there would be people around who had better ideas than I. Surely you aren't suggesting I was wrong?

Sarcasm doesn't work real well on Usenet. I learned that one very well years ago myself.

Just a tip, trying to be helpful.

Reply to
The Evil Tessmacher

--snippage-- But I appreciate your little lecture

You're right; it was arrogant of me to lecture you on newsgroup ettiquette. Good luck on your project.

---Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Very gracious of you. And I apologize myself for being a bit sharp on this subject. One of the things that has bothered me in my IRL career over the years, is the degradation of social interaction skills. And as you can see, I sometimes fall guilty myself.

In any case, I have the above-waterline deck laid out, and am just about to start calculating out the angles on the superstructure. At this point, the casemate is just about 8 feet long, give or take a few inches.

I've decided to find as many images of the Virginia as I can, and then average the slope of the casemate on all of them. That should pretty much get me close.

I would post pictures, but my digital camera has stopped transferring photos to the PC, so that will have to wait.

Reply to
The Evil Tessmacher