Canadian Air Force Pilot Uniforms

Hi,

I've tried all sorts of googling on this but came up empty handed. I'm doing the 1/72 hobbycraft kit of the CF100 and I'm looking for painting information for the pilot figures. I just need to know the colour of helmets, flight suit and boots. Anyone know of any resources for this?

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
James McQueen

Avro Canada Archives

Hi,

Yes, I'm looking for operational squadron wear. I think I'm going to do the Alouette Squadron version of the kit so info specific to that unit would be valuable. But are the flight suits khaki, or olive drab, or what? I've found millions of pictures of the aircraft but nothing on the people flying them!

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
James McQueen

I've done some research, but haven't found anything useful.

There are a few photos of CF-100s with the pilots visible in the archives of the Canadian Aviation Museum, but (a) those photographs are all black-and-white, (b) none of the pilots' helmets are visible, and (c) they don't appear to have been from Alouette Squadron anyway. If it helps, the jumpsuits were some light colour (not olive-drab), but whether they were sky-blue or white or something else, I couldn't tell from the B&W pictures.

At this point, I'd normally recommend asking the Canadian War Museum. However, they're in the process of boxing up everything in preparation for the move to the new building that's being built, so they aren't answering questions right now...

Reply to
Rob Kelk

Ususlly light kahki-grey or blue-grey depending on the time period, what the squadron had in Stores, and whether it was winter or summer. Helmets were mostly an individual effort, and hand-painted.

Try the National Aeronautical Collection at Rockcliffe or the Canadian Warplane Heritage at Hamilton (Mount Hope) then : )

Reply to
Jeff C