Chev 56' Bel Ray - Revell

Hi All,

First time poster and first time model builder and having a ball.

Just a simple question. I have built most of the car, I just have to paint the body. How do I paint the two tone body. Burgundy on top, white on the bottom. Do i spray the whole body white (because it is the lightest colour) and then hand paint the burgundy on????

Thanks for any tips,

Cheers,

Jay email: snipped-for-privacy@optusnet.com.auNOSPAM

Reply to
Jay

That's a good start lighter colour first ,and mask off the parts you don't want burgundy and spray the burgundy .Before you paint it white though a gray primer coat may help if the plastic is a dark colour. The primer will also help you find any surface imperfections before you paint it, which you can fix before painting ,also you can wet rub it to get a real nice surface for painting.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Jay,

Brush painting large-enough areas usually leaves brush marks, so it's best to spray as much as possible.

- Spray the whole body white.

- When completely dry, mask what you want to stay white (inside and outside to protect from any overspray).

- Spray Burgundy.

- Before the burgundy dries, carefully remove masking so it won't tear the paint at the edges.

I recommend Tamiya masking tape as it's tacky enough to stick down, but not tacky enough to strip paint.

Scott.

Reply to
scotty68

Hi Jay,

I'd suggest acquiring some masking tape. If you can get it, Tamiya's is superb for running along the edge of your colour separation. Regular masking tape can be appplied next to that or you can use newspaper attached with the regular tape. I recommend waiting until the white paint no longer has a smell to it before applying the masking. That means the paint has cured sufficiently to resist pulling off with the tape when you remove it. Good luck with your build!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

And for more tips along with a boat load of visual inspiration, check out Hobby Heaven's message board at:

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan