clear paint made silver paint run

sprayed rattle can clear on rattle can silver on wood a few days apart. the silver started to run. same brand paint.

does silver act funky or did I do something wrong? only thing I can think I did was spray too much at one spot and was too close, but does that always make paint run?

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

Silver often does "play funny". It tends to be uncooperative with anything applied atop it. This seems to be more pronounced, the "glossier" the silver (i.e. paints like to old classic enamel Pactra "Flat Aluminum" did

*not* seem to have this "problem").

You can try sealing the silver with one of the many metallizer sealers, or just apply any succeeding color coats *very* lightly.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Even though they are the same brand, the siver may be an enamel, and the clear a laquer - Testors paints are that way. The thinner in the laquer is much hotter, and may cause a run if you applied it too heavy.

Reply to
Rufus

Hard to say. I know that silver, particularly spray can silver, takes a l-o-n-g time to dry; sometimes a week or more. I've also noticed that sometimes silver does do funny things when oversprayed with a clear; don't know why that is, though.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I think it has to do with silver paint being made of metal particles for the pigment. There might be a different medium than in non-metallic paint. If you want to seal silver with some clear, use an acrylic paint or Future. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

It did it for me a long time ago. I stopped using Testors on top of their silver. I used Pactra for awhile as that didn't cause the same problems. I'm glad Future came along when it did as finding Pactra is like finding King John's royal regalia.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I have had this experience with two colours from the same brand, until I noticed that the cans said overpaint before 4 hours, or after 72 - 96 hours.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen