CVN-65 USS Enterprise

Does anyone know if the recently issued Monogram USS Enterprise in

1/400 scale is the same mold as the old OTAKI kit? I have not seen both at the same time to compare side to side, but the OTAKI looks like it is a slightly better kit. In other words, if you could buy either, not considering price, which would you get?

Inquiring minds want to know.

John Alger USN(ret)

1972-1997 // 1310,1320 TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B
Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The RM kit ois the old Aurora kit which Monogram acquired in the 70s with the rest of Aurora's molds. I just got one from eBay for about $45 shipped as I had lusted after but could not afford it back in the day. The molds seem to have held up very well the parts look nice. The aircraft set seems to have been replaced with newly tooled ones, they are multi piece and seen quite nice, the decal sheet for them is most impressive.

The Otaki kit lists for the same as the 1/350 Tamiya Enterprise does $200. Bit the Tamiya kit discounts much better. It is said to be good but I don't know if it's that good. If you want a big Enterprise and don't want to spend a bunch or just don't want or aren't ready for a more complex kit go either the RM kit. If you want better go with the Tamiya kit. I just don't see a place for the Otaki anymore, not at $199.95.

It is said that CC Lee has the Otaki mold now and it is listed on Great Models for $60 list. That makes it competitive with the RM ship but I;d wait to make sure.

PS Otaki did make additional aircraft sets for it's Enterprise which appear on eBay with some regularity. This maky be worthwhile if you want to increase the Big E's airwing.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost