De Havilland Mosquito

Hi,

I was reading up on Mosquito's used by 100 Group during WWII and was surprised to find a difference in the length between the NF Mk XVII and NF

  1. The references I have show the NF 30 to be 4 feet longer than the Mk XVII.

I know the engines were different between the two versions as was the equipment fit, but where does the increase in the length occur?

Can anyone tell me the cause and if there are any drawing of the NF 30 around that I can compare?

Thanks in advance

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

The nose radome of the NF 30 was shorter than normal and the radome of the NF XVII was longer than a normal FBVI. Plus the NFXVII was sometimes also fitted with the Monica radar antenna in the tail which would have made it longer. I guess the difference between the two can be because of the different nose radar installations. When you look at them you can easily see that there will be about a four foot difference between the two.

Scott

Reply to
The Model Hobbit

FWIW 4 feet is way too much. Problem is there are no really good references out there. I don't have access to mine at the moment but be warned about R.J. Carauna's drawings in the SAMI special on the Mosquito, they have errors, particularly where the NK.30 is depicted.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey