Help with F-111B details please

I received for Christmas the Naval Fighters #41 on the Grumman F-111B. I have been thinking about building a model of one for several years and recently bought a 1/72 Hasegawa FB-111A to form the basis of the model. The book covers the subject in wonderful detail though........... there are a couple of points that I need clarification on, the first is probably quite easy while the second will be fairly hard.

1) When the aircraft 152714 & 152715 were built the length of the nose was increased and part of the fuselage reprofiled slightly, not a problem as a drawing is provided in 1/72 on page 54. My question is, when the cockpit was bulged upwards and the windshield angle increased, did the lower edges of the cockpit glazing raised or left where it was?

2) Under the heading of Carrier Suitability on page 47, the book details the changes made to the production aircraft 152714 & 152715 such as the changes to the nose and on page 48 states that "The main landing gear installation was changed to move the wheels eight inches farther aft...." Can anyone tell me if the whole main undercarriage bay was moved or what changes were made to effect the eight inch movement of the wheels?

Thanks in advance

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

"Gondor" wrote

You might want to see if you can pick up the old Revell TFX kit. It had an extended nose, different wing tips, etc. They are usually pretty cheap and could be bashed with the Hasegawa. I wouldn't use it as a reference guide though. . . It may be correct, but back in those days they didn't change the molds for slight variations so you can't count on the kit.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I think you missed the point Kurt. I am wanting to produce a production example, the old Revell kit is of the earlier machines which did vary from aircraft to aircraft. The Navy Fighters book does give a review of the Revell kit and I would rather use the Hasegawa kit as it has the extended wings and has air intakes near to the ones the last two airframes used.

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

Somebody is always detailing some esoteric stuff like this over at rec.aviation.military -- so I recommend that you post this over there.

Reply to
dancho

Thanks, I didnt even know about that newsgroup

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor