Red Fw 190

I'm confused about a particular Fw 190 and I need some expert advice. On January 1, 1945 an Fw 190 made a belly landing at St. Trond, Belgium and was reportedly flown by Major von Komatski. The 506 Fighter Squadron, 404th Fighter Group restored it, painted it insignia red (?) - well, red anyway - and planned to fly it. It had the code L * 00 (or 00 * L) depending on your perspective and had 1-1-45 on the vertical fin. On the left side of the cowling there is a white crest with what appears to be a knight's helmet inside. One photo I have shows a rectangular sign hanging on the left side of the aircraft below the cockpit with the words "KEEP OFF" and some other illegible writing on it.

I've been told that Jeff Ethell's book on WWII nose art has a photo as does Roger Freeman's "Ninth Air Force in Color" but I have no access to either book.

I have an "official" photo which says nothing about the model of this Fw 190. One source I have lists this aircraft as an Fw 190F-2. The recent Flight Journal special issue on German Fighters says it's an Fw 190G (nothing beyond "G"). I have also been told this aircraft was an A-8. I give up.

Does anyone actually know? If so, which kit is the best one to use (1/48 preferably). Help.

Reply to
robbelothe