Markings for Herman Graf's Fw-190A5

I think this was addressed several years ago but I can't remember how it was settled. I have really nice Eduard 1/48 scale Fw-190A5 kit and I want to do it in Graf's markings. The question is whether or not the entire engine cowling is painted all yellow or just the bottom, which was standard eastern front ID markings. I've seen information, including decal instructions, that have represented it as each way - the rather new Superscale decal sheet featuring this aircraft indicated the whole cowl should be yellow.

At the same time, many of the markings, even a couple that indicate the entire cowl should be yellow, have a white edge on all the red tulip petals except the bottom three (where the yellow ID band would have been). That would intuitively indicate to me that the cowl was aircraft color and the yellow was only on the bottom. If it was a little thing, I wouldn't worry about it but whether or not the engine cowl was all yellow or just yellow on the bottom is visually significant, to say the least.

Does anyone have any truly definitive information related to the cowl color of this aircraft?

Reply to
Bill Woodier

There's a fuzzy rear 3/4 view on this page:

Looks from that to be an all yellow cowl, at least to my eyes; the cowl definitely has a different tonality to the decking over the guns.

flak monkey

Yes, it does. thank you for that information.

Reply to
Bill Woodier