Douglas XCG-17

I think the Minicraft kit is criticized far more than it deserves. It has *beautifully* sharp and petite scribing, and incredibly thin trailing edges to the wing and tail. However, it *does* have problems...but we are model *builders* right?...and should be able to, and expected to, deal with such setbacks. :o)

The engine nacelles have a bizarre upward cant of several degrees. This can be remedied by "planing down" the front face of the nacelle area (where the cowlings will be attached) to be perpendicular to the AC centerline. Then just reshape/recontour what is left.

The engine cowlings themselves are weak...representing neither the Wright type, nor the PW type, very well. You can pretty much correct them to either model, with the same amount of work. The engines are typical of most injection molded plastic engines (not good)...but replacements are available from Aeroclub. The props are very weak...and not to mention *too big*, as they scrape against the fuselage! (Aeroclub again can provide replacements)

The landing gear is very petite, and looks very nice... though the wheels are full of problems...being a bit too narrow, and the wheel hub being way too large diameter-wise.

The fuselage is pretty nice, except for the vertical tail, which goes wrong somewhere...being too rounded. The nose is a bit off from certain angles, but nothing major. The cockpit windows are also a bit off...but most people end up using decals anyway.

The surface scribing, regarding windows, doors, etc... is good and/or bad...depending on the livery you are doing. Like everything else regarding the DC-3/C-47, you really need to have photos of the actual aircraft you are wanting to model.

As Al said...way better than the Electra. (...and better than the Constellation and Stratocruiser) (But not as nice as the DC-4, nor the incredible new DC-8!!!)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

eh, what was the question?

Jim

Would you please e-mail me again. Your first e-mail was accidentally ommited by my coal fired computer.

TIA

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Oh, I quite agree. I have lots of Minicraft DC-3 kits in my stash... ;)

The R4D-5 release has a much-improved pair of cowlings, and paddle-bladed props.

Reply to
Al Superczynski