Dragon Tiger Question

I just purchased some Dragon 1/72 scale Tiger Tanks, and was wondering what the markings Sd.Kfz.181 means. I am new at this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hawkins

Ron Smith

Isn't it SonderkraftFAHRzeug #181? Which would make it something like Special propulsion vehicle (ie tracked vehicle). Or am I completely wrong?

Reply to
Wim Mahieu

It is Sonderkraftfahrzeug, which translates to Special Purpose Vehicle. An Sd.Kfz does not have to be tracked. Halftracks and all wheel armored cars are included

Reply to
willshak

Thanks for all the info on the subject. Now, one more question: What does the number 181 signify? Thanks again!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Hawkins

Reply to
Gerald Owens

That's just the number that differentiates it from all the other Sd.Kfz type vehicles #181 is the Panzerkamphwagen VI Tiger Ausf. E tank. # 7 is the Mittlerer Zugkraftwagen 8t halftrack/tractor (prime mover) #182 is the Panzerkamphwagen VI Tiger II Ausf. B (the King Tiger tank). #162 is the Jagdpanzer IV (Sturmgeschutz tank destroyer) Rommel's command vehicle "Greif" was a Sd.kfz 250/3 Leichte Funkpanzerwagen Then there are modifications to one Sd.kfz type which will have a different Sd.kfz number.

Don't ask me what all the Sd.kfz numbers belong to. I don't think the Germans knew what all the numbers meant. These are just the ones I have models of.

Reply to
willshak

The Germans put a lot of their vehicles in "bands" of numbers. For example, as noted 181 is the Tiger I (Ausf. or Model E), 182 is the Tiger II (Ausf. B in either Porsche turreted or Henschel turreted varieties, 184 is the (Tiger) "Ferdinand" or "Elefant", 171 is the Panther (Ausf. D, A or G), 173 is the Jagdpanther, 161 the Pzkw. (Panzerkampfwagen or Armored fighting vehicle) IV, 141 the Pzkw. III, etc.

There is a logic there for the tanks, but it goes away with some other vehicles. Most of the 2xx series are support vehicles such as the 221,

222, and 233 4 x 4 armored cars, the 232 6 x 6 armored car, the 231/233 and 234 8 x 7 armored cars, the 250 light halftrack and the 251 medium halftrack.

Don't get started on softskins (trucks and cars)!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

"Wim Mahieu" wrote in news:4463378f$0$22043$ snipped-for-privacy@news.skynet.be:

The KRAFT in this means that it is powered by an engine. PKW= Personen Kraft Wagen = normal car

LKW= Last Kraft Wagen = Commercial Truck, truck/trailer

Sd Kfz = Sonder Kraftfahrzeug = Special Purpose vehicle.

Sd Kfz 2 (also known as Ketten Krad) which is a kind of abbreviation of Ketten Kraft Rad (chain powered bycicle/motor cycle) Thus being an engine powered track drive motorcicle

A Krad would thus mean a Kraft Rad

HTH

Dennis

Reply to