Eduard M3 Grant Etched Brass Question

Eduard offer 2 sets of etched brass for the Grant. One with early fenders, the other late pattern fenders.

Which is appropriate for a Grant serving in the Western Desert campagns and when did they change from early to late pattern?

Also what is it that is so wrong with the Tamiya kit and do the inaccuracies spoil the appearance of the kit?

Thanks

JP

Reply to
JP

Tamiya's M3 Grant hull is too tall, turret casting is incorrect in shape, road wheels have the wrong number of spokes, tracks have track link connectors that are centered on the track links instead of straddling two track links, so they don't connect anything, main gun rotor is too shallow top to bottom, turret gun sight is aimed upward, so it must be cut out at the bottom and filled at the top if you want the 37mm gun to be level (or just aim the gun at the sky) and the 37mm gun should be mounted lower on the gun rotor. Many smaller improvements to make, but you get the idea. Better to wait on the Academy version (no guarantee, of course, as their Lee has a long list of faults, but it's still better than Tamiya's). Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

Thanks for the info.

Too late I'm afraid. It's one I bought years ago and finally took the notion to start.

I guess I'll have to dig out my razor saw and get to work.

Cheers

JP

Reply to
JP