Engine pluming, "armored" lines and anodized fittings

I have seen a number of WW2 era engines restored and installed in various things. They feature the metal mesh covered lines, and the brightly colored anodized fittings. Were these actually in use in WW2. Although I was still a school kid at the end of the war, I don't remember seeing this stuff on engines then.

When did the metal mesh covered lines come into use? When did the colored anodized fittings come into use?

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Hmm. I'd bet during WWII they used steel, brass or bronze fittings. The mesh you're refering to is stainless steel braid. Don't know when it came into use either, but I'd bet they only used black hoses or metal tubing.

Reply to
frank

Don Stauffer in Minnesota wrote: : I have seen a number of WW2 era engines restored and installed in : various things. They feature the metal mesh covered lines, and the : I have seen mesh wrapped tubes for the spark plug wiring, up to a common point. : : brightly colored anodized fittings. : The coolant and fuel lines/fittings are generally rubber with a standard hose clamp on them.

What "various things" have you seen WW2 era engines installed in? I suspect that is the answer to your question.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

These are rebuilt classic unlimited hydroplanes, and a few aircraft engines in small museums.

Thanks, guys for the comments. You all seem to agree with my recollections.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On a similar topic...in this age of "jets and turbo props", are piston engines such as these still being manufactured?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

The braid on plug wires is shielding. The braid on hoses is for re-enforcement.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

rden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Reply to
frank

Continental & Lycoming opposed (flat) engines are still made here in the US. No new radials here, but the former USSR & some other of that line of countries are still making smaller radials & I think some vee engines, but they may just be overhauls.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Bruce

Burden =A0 =A0Austin, TX.

Reply to
frank