Eurofighter Typhoon mag with January Air International

Special editions of the January 2004 "Air International" magazine include a 60 page, full-color "special magazine" covering the "Eurofighter Typhoon". This magazine includes separate sections covering the Typhoon's history, chronology, development fleet, cockpit, avionics, flight controls, powerplants, pilot report, gallery, assembly & production, weapons, users, and industry.

The photographs included in this magazine show many Typhoon details. The photos include the prototypes, cockpit, ejection seat, intakes, engines, weapons, manufacturing, and external details.

I believe this is one of the best reports on the Typhoon available. And it's FREE with the January issue of "Air International"! This special issue of the January 2004 "Air International" features an AV-8B Harrier on the cover and is packaged in a clear plastic wrapper with a red banner featuring the words "Special Free Eurofighter Supplement".

Martin

Reply to
Martin
[eurofighter stuff flown away...]

this is wandering OT but there was an interesting program last night on BBC R4 called 'eurofighter - the plane truth'. and i would not say that the program was exactly praiseworthy of the plane.

trevor

Reply to
87015

Seems to be being given away with a lot of air type mags this month. I got mine with Airforces Monthly.

The BBC listen again link is posted below for those interested.

Roger Demming

you mean the petty squabbling or the mishandled finances?

Hi all,

Air International, Air Forces Monthly & Air Enthusiast are all published by the same company, the Eurofighter booklet is included with the first 2 mentioned but I don't think Air Enthusiast had it attached, not in my local WHS anyway.

Happy modelling Ant Phillips

Reply to
Ant Phillips

The only problem with the Typhoon is that it is half a generation late. While it is capable of pasting an F-15, F-16, MiG-29 or Su-27, at this stage of the game it really needs to be up to taking on an F-22 Raptor. Chek

Reply to
Chek

That assumes at least 2 things

  1. That the USAF will purchase Raptor
  2. That you believe that sometime soon the USA will be at war with Europe...

Any new equipment entering service can be said to be half a generation behind similar equipment that hasn't yet reached service use.

Reply to
Roger Demming

It shouldn't be a half generation behind since both designs have been around for about the same amount of time. In fact, I believe that the F-22 development started before the Eurofighters. I also think it is incorrect to say that they are all that far apart in entering service. The F-22 is a few months behind the Eurofighter in that regard. Both have just had their first deliveries to the conversion units and, if the timelines are to be believed, the F-22 will actually be operational first. I am not inclined to believe this last bit, but then again given the way that the Eurofighter has dragged along it wouldn't surprise me.

FWIW the USAF WILL buy the F-22 because it has done what they do so well at the Pentagon and left us with no other choice.

John Benson ------------------------ IPMS El Paso Web Guy

John Benson

i mean both. one of the most memorable points was about describing it as just a cold war dogfighter and saying that the ground attack/strike version was going to be so late that there would have to be even more upgrades to the aircraft [jaguar GR3/GR3A and tornado F3] currently in service.

me? i'm just glad that we can produce a modern and capable combat aircraft and do not have to buy in american aircraft. though i admit an RAF buy of F/A-18E and F/A-18Fs would be a perfectly acceptable substitute.

trevor

Reply to
87015

John, Referring back to an old Monty Python sketch - I merely meant, your majesty, that the EF should be in that class of aircraft, not that a Euro - American war was due. Well, not any time soon anyway. I also recall seeing the full size wooden EF mock up at the Farnborough Trade Show in either 76 or 78, and while we are getting used to current planes reaching that lifespan now - it's still a tad long in the development stage even by vintage Brit standards. The bigger question really is whether Air Sup. type fighters are required at all now, and if what we should be doing is upgrading A-10's and Tornados for precision close support police work. Thanks for the thoughtful reply - I can see we're both big fans of government procurement practices! P.S. I always preferred the YF-23 :) Chek

Reply to
Chek

it might be cheaper to buy from us than home grow. except that might kill your aviation industry. all depends on what you really want.

And upgrade the Harriers as well, the JSF is not a direct replacement - the Harrier would still be more manouverable, and by the look of it tougher.

Reply to
Xbase (Please note spammers email address used)