Ever seen a grown man cry? Canopy woes.....

OK, so I am finished my p-47 bubbletop and just fixing the canopy and yep you guessed it, that would be glue on it then. It seems to have fogged it up a bit on ones side.

Anything I can do about this or should I get another one and try again?

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

A few questions: What scale? The smaller the canopy, the more of a hassle this is to correct. What material? With an injection canopy, you have a hope of polishing out the fogging, but with a vac canopy, I doubt polishing will be effective. What glue? I suspect CA fogging is a little easier to correct than a styrene solvent, as the former should not be chemically interacting with the canopy material.

The first thing I'd try is dipping the whole thing in Future. Maybe the fogging will go away, and if this step doesn't help, the Future is easy to remove. If the fogged area is clear of framing, or if the framing is strictly external, light sanding with successively finer grits, ending with toothpaste or a similar polishing compound, and then a Future dip is most likely to correct the fogging.

Given that this is a P-47, for which replacement canopies are readily available, you may not want to go to the trouble of trying to fix this. In any event, you might want to consider sticking to white glue or watch crystal cement or (my favorite) Alene's Jewel-It Gem-to-Fabric glue. None of these will fog a canopy. It also can be helpful to dip the canopy in Future prior to installation, which often enhances the appearance, and also can act as a shield to the fogging effect.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Use special glue for clear parts. This will not fog and easy to remove.

Reply to
Teun

Mark,

Thanks for the detailed response. It's 1/72 scale and it's only fogged slightly just above the frame on one side. But it's annoying me!!! I spent ages on this kit, painting it really nicely, aftermarket PE and decals, etc. Apart from that one mistake it looks ok. It is an injection canopy, that was supplied with the kit. I used humbrol plastic adhesive which I've used successfully in the past, but I must have just got a tiny amount on the canopy itself (I applied the glue with a brush). I think I'll have a go at fixing it first and if that doesn't work then I'll buy a new one.

Your advice on future installations is noted - I will give those a try next time, especially as my next project is a PBY-5 with a lot of clear parts :-)

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

Go to Hobbytown USA. They have the special canopy glue you seek.

Dennis

Reply to
drodgick

Thanks,

Well to update. I sanded the fogging out, which worked a treat. Then I polished it using toothpaste.

Came out gleaming.

Then I washed it down the sink by mistake when I was rinsing the toothpaste off.

Doh!

Vacform on order. I'm sure these things are sent to test us :-)

M.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

I know it sucked when it happened...but you gotta laugh :) thanks for the chuckle and good luck with the vac form copy

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I recently did the same on a Spit canopy... scraped it off with a hobby knife, then polished the area with a cotton bud and Brasso metal polish. Worked like a charm. Probably perspex buffing compound would have worked better, but i didn't have any.

Glenn

Mark Warr> OK, so I am finished my p-47 bubbletop and just fixing the canopy and yep

Reply to
Careful Hack

What type of canopy (plastic) and what type of glue?

If it's the original canopy (clear hard plastic) and regular plastic glue, make sure the glue hardens completely before trying to scrape it off !

Then proceed as per the previous poster and finish it off with a Future dip.

Good Luck!

Sten

Reply to
Sten

Hmm, Sorry to hear about your troubles, but I could not help snickering a bit (until I remembered a similar thing happening to me :o)

Typically something the size of a canopy would get stick in the 'lock' beneath the sink (the 'S' shaped piece of pipe).

Even if you might be better off with a vacform canopy, you do not want the canopy sitting there blocking the pipes. There is usually some form of drain at the bottom of the 'S'. Take a look and see if you see what I mean. Probably does not hurt to clean this out once in a while - you never know what treasures you may find in there!

Keep a bucket or similar under the drain when you open it, it is usually a bit messy.

Best of luck! Sten

Reply to
Sten