F/A-18F Question

The square faring ahead of the windscreen... it seems to be almost a metallic color in some views, definitely darker than the surrounding fuselage. Does anyone know what color it actually is? Thanks,

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

I've looked at a bunch of photo's and I can't seem to come to a consensus.

In this photo it's the same color as the rest of the aircraft:

Here the top and sides appear a dark shade of gray:

Can't really tell here...but a cool photo anyway =] :

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

That's the 'cherriest' F-18 I've ever seen. Must have just been rolled out of the factory. At first, I thought it was a super scale model.

Reply to
Willshak

It leaves the factory the same color as the rest of the jet, however, some squadrons have been painting around it, or possibly painting it. It is actually an antenna cover and as such probably shouldn't be painted...however there are special paints for doing so.

But the bottom line is that on a fresh jet, it is the same color as the rest of the aircraft.

Reply to
Rufus

Tricks of the light, or dirt build up. It leaves the factory the same color as the rest of the aircraft. VFA-122s jets are the first and oldest out there, so they're a bit "aged".

Reply to
Rufus