flight of the phoenix

We went out once in high school. A couple of years back I got in touch with her and she didn't remember me (one date, no surprise, but still :-().
The nice outcome has been occasional correspondence, holiday cards, questions about class reunions, etc. She has more class than most of the big "stars" and is still a beautiful woman.
Tom
(Maiesm72) wrote:

were you a sparrow, also?

ahhh...me buds and I were wee lads in grade school at the time. Remember the episode that rips off Nosferatu with the space vampire?She was possesed and her voice got so low and sexy.I remember us giggling in the halls discussing it...;-)

Don't give him any ideas! 8^)
The Keeper (of too much crap!)
snipped-for-privacy@earthNOSPAMlink.net wrote:

apples and nuclear weapons...almost not the same planet. now wizards was good bakshi.
e wrote:

I hear tell there's a guy who remade "Psycho" shot-for-shot.... imdb says Gus Van Sant. I wouldn't know, No sense watching that, as I've seen the original.
--
-Jack

Matter of fact that Psycho remake was on last night. Vince Vaughn is Norman Bates. I couldn't believe they remade Hitchcocks Psycho. I gave it a viewing once and was totally astounded that it was an exact copy of the original except shot of course in color.
I liked the remake of the original Night of the living Dead which I believe was made in 1990.
Cheers, Max Bryant
One that comes to mind for me is "12 Angry Men". I was quite impressed with the original, something very dramatic about the black and white. I thought the remake would be the typical overacted schmutz, but it turned out to be as good as the original, IMHO.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy
I've always like "Dawn Patrol", and then TCM ran the original 1930 version, renamed "Flight Commander"--again, it makes the remake look routine.
On 12/5/04 4:24 AM, in article obidneCwFdlrfC snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, "Enzo

It's already happened. Ever seen "Chicken Run?" <G>
Seriously, any fan of "The Great Escape" should see (and enjoy) "Chicken Run."
James
___________________________ James "buy my DVD" Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com Www.rocket.aero

certainly vastly superior than any possible "reimagining" of the original. a remake would make the guards acpm counsleors trying to keep the bad boy and his friends from swimming the lake to nail the diels camp. with paris hilton, marky mark and snoop dog as the commandant, er head counslor.

thats camp and girls....sheesh.
e wrote:

I was hoping you'd let us in on that. I was verhuddelt trying to figure out why anyone would want to nail the diels. As to your cast, they leave me as flat as Paris is.
Bill Banaszak, MFE

Brilliant film!
e wrote:

My expectaions of the remake of "Ocean's Eleven" were exceeded.
--
- Rufus

I agree. What's the point in a "remake" that's identical to the original? This is 2004 - a remake is aimed at a completely different audience, who have grown up with a different background and have different expectations of the film. The film maker must provide what the audience wants and expects if he/she wishes to make a buck or two. Back in 1965, the audience wanted the "human element" - soul-searching, love scenes, emotional conflicts, etc. The audience of 2004 isn't interested in these - they want action, special effects and victory.
The audience of 2004 want a movie that will entertain them for the duration of their trip to the cinema, not some deep and meaningful subliminal message that they'll go home be thinking about for the next three weeks.
I haven't seen the remake of Phoenix yet, so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment. But I reckon it's pretty narrow-minded to bag a new film just because it's not like the original that was produced 40 years ago.
Enjoy the entertainment value for what it is... and if you don't think you'll enjoy it, then don't go. Your choice.
Just my 2 cent's worth...
James.
snipped-for-privacy@austarmetro.com.au (James Venables) wrote:

some valid points, but if it is supposed to be a movie based on the original novel, it fails. and yes, today's movies are dumbed down to sell tickets. meaningfull and intelligent have short value today. i was amazed that life is beautiful managed to break out.
One can see that concept is as old as Hollywood. Watch "My Favorite Wife" and "Move Over, Darling" sometime. Same story but updated to the mores, vehicles and history of the times.
Bill Banaszak, MFE

While some folks see this as a personal affront to their weak self image. They can't see that times and people have changed, that the film is simply reflecting what things are like today, or at least Hollywood's version. :-)
The good old days of mostly white, manly heroes with weak defensless damsels served by those quaint colored folks were not very good, they just looked that way on film.
Bottom line is whether the film is good or not. Personally I'll be there to see Phoenix and The Aviator as well. At the end of the move I'll know if I liked it or not.
Tom
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Maiesm72) wrote:

In the brief clips I've seen of 'The Aviator,' the one thing I noticed is that they got the aircraft right. I'm especially impressed by what I saw of the XF-11 prototype that Hughes crashed. Since they seem to have spent the $$$ on getting that right, there's a good chance they got a lot more right as well. Even with Leonardo in the cast, I'll go see it.
Mark Schynert