flight of the phoenix

Those sequels *did* give us a new entry for the pop-culture lexicon: (I believe I first heard it from the mouths of the "Lone Gunmen" in an "X-Files" episode.)

"franciscus" - noun - something that fails miserably to live up to the original thing it was attempting to emulate.

Example: "Lame comeback man....totally franciscus!".

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

My expectaions of the remake of "Ocean's Eleven" were exceeded.

Reply to
Rufus

My imprressions exactly.

Reply to
Rufus

I had a call to be an extra in that one, but I turned it down...

Took me awhile to see it...was pleasantly surprised.

Reply to
Rufus

even the idiots on the dirtbikes didn't know how to ride in sand. check them out.....funnt.

I agree. What's the point in a "remake" that's identical to the original? This is 2004 - a remake is aimed at a completely different audience, who have grown up with a different background and have different expectations of the film. The film maker must provide what the audience wants and expects if he/she wishes to make a buck or two. Back in 1965, the audience wanted the "human element" - soul-searching, love scenes, emotional conflicts, etc. The audience of

2004 isn't interested in these - they want action, special effects and victory.

The audience of 2004 want a movie that will entertain them for the duration of their trip to the cinema, not some deep and meaningful subliminal message that they'll go home be thinking about for the next three weeks.

I haven't seen the remake of Phoenix yet, so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment. But I reckon it's pretty narrow-minded to bag a new film just because it's not like the original that was produced 40 years ago.

Enjoy the entertainment value for what it is... and if you don't think you'll enjoy it, then don't go. Your choice.

Just my 2 cent's worth...

James.

Reply to
James Venables

some valid points, but if it is supposed to be a movie based on the original novel, it fails. and yes, today's movies are dumbed down to sell tickets. meaningfull and intelligent have short value today. i was amazed that life is beautiful managed to break out.

for what it's worth,it looks like the Phoenix remake has the latest in politically correct casts....the fact that the tried to match the latest census figures for race in the US and throw in the current fad of the strong female characters tells me it's probably gonna spend more time preaching then trying to tell a good story.I imagine the men will be weak sissy boys and she'll save the day,while the "people of color" tell the white men what racist pigs they are.The making of a great aviation epic...Yawn...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Which is always galling to those of us who can't. :) At least it got some guys the chance to go and take the female half who may not care if he can act or not. Hmm, wonder if Clooney can sing?

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-modeller

I was hoping you'd let us in on that. I was verhuddelt trying to figure out why anyone would want to nail the diels. As to your cast, they leave me as flat as Paris is.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-modeller

One can see that concept is as old as Hollywood. Watch "My Favorite Wife" and "Move Over, Darling" sometime. Same story but updated to the mores, vehicles and history of the times.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-modeller

But, will they still have a cargo of dates? ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-modeller

While some folks see this as a personal affront to their weak self image. They can't see that times and people have changed, that the film is simply reflecting what things are like today, or at least Hollywood's version. :-)

The good old days of mostly white, manly heroes with weak defensless damsels served by those quaint colored folks were not very good, they just looked that way on film.

Bottom line is whether the film is good or not. Personally I'll be there to see Phoenix and The Aviator as well. At the end of the move I'll know if I liked it or not.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Any film with Liam Neeson in it has got to be worth at least a glance.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I thought the remake of "Sahara" with Jim Belushi was pretty good. He's no Bogart, but he didn't try to be either.

Bill

Reply to
Darkside24us

Have you escaped from urmr?

Aghhhhh I forgot Warley !!

Reply to
Martin

Italian Job - the original was a classic - the remake dire!

Ok what about the Taxi remake?

Reply to
Martin

Brilliant film!

Reply to
Martin

How about A Guy Named Joe, and Always ? Same story, both good movies Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the 2003 world champion drill team Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

Agreed. I have in my collection of movies on VHS, "Cleopatra" (Claudette Colbair) and the remake with Elizabeth Taylor and "Ben-Hur" with Ramon Navarro as well as the remake with Heston. In both of these (and others that I have or have seen) there are parts from the older movies that I liked ~much~ better than the versions from the 1950s. For example, both of the stars in the older versions were head and shoulders above the others as better actors. But admittedly, the newer versions did have much better visual effects. It's all in your point of view. As Jim said, if you don't think that you'll enjoy it stay home and watch the original on tape.

The Old Timer