French Jaguar rocket pods

The Italeri 1/72nd scale Jaguar A has four-shot rocket pods with a square cross section.

Anyone know who make the real ones and what other aircraft and countries might use them? I vaguely recall a Viggen cutaway with something like those among the weapons.

Frank

Reply to
ROTORFRANK

Matra usually makes rocket armaments for the French (they're a division of the huge conglomerate DaimlerChrysler now). The Viggen carries Bofors rockets. I know the Matra packs are also carried by Mirage F1s and maybe Mirage III/Vs and/or 2000s. I think I've seen Buccaneers carry Matra packs...possibly Tornados as well. In theory the BAC Lightning could take them in place of their usual air-to-air missiles but I haven't actually seen this.

Other ideas: Vautour Super Mystere A-4 Skyhawk (in Israeli service or other Third World air arms) Etendard/Super Etendard British Phantoms Kfir, Cheetah, Pantera

Hope this helps!

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

Thanks, but I think the Matra pods are the round 19 or 17-shot type with the pointed nose. These are four rockets in a square box with a pointed nose. Does Matra make those as well?

Frank

Reply to
ROTORFRANK

Google led me here:

indicates a 4x100mm R3 pod (whatever one of those is :-) )

Damian

Reply to
Damian

The MBDA (Matra BAe) TDA 100mm rocket launchers are of rectangular construction, and come in 4 or 6 round versions.

Sounds likely :-)

shows us Jaguar uses MBDA devices, which is hardly surprising.

Damian

Reply to
Damian

The 100 mm TDA launcher sounds right. I'll go digging for pictures.

Thanks

Frank

Reply to
ROTORFRANK

My cursory websearch shows that Matra "inherited" this weapon from SNEB, and that it is also used by BAe Hawks.

Another article says that the weapon could be used in an anti-shipping role versus small gunboats and the like.

It appears to be too big a launcher for helicopter gunship use.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce

Reply to
Stephen FPilot Bierce