Good Colors In The 60s

we had a 66 with an awesome copper color dodge had. try that.

I picked up a '67 Dodge Coronet & was wondering on a boss color,I had one for a few years in the 80s,it was hemi orange,but the previous owner riveted a landau roof onto it & it looked goofy.I'm talking about a model here,not another full size car!.

Reply to
teem

I recommend a trip to this address for car colour information:

Personally, I'd love to find that metallic lavender colour that one could find on a '67.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

IIRC, as early as '67, even Hemi Orange was incorrect; although there was a bright red, if you like red. I've done a couple of mid-'60s Mopars with Testors Red and it looks fine. Most "High Impact" colors like Plum Crazy, Lemon Twist, etc., didn't come until later. For some reason, I always liked the '66-'67 Coronet in white.

MCW (Model Car World) makes scale model duplicates for factory finishes. Hit their website here

and shop for yourself. They sell in airbrush-ready mixes.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Bill, might it be one of these?

6756 Mauve Met.

6757 Lt. Turq. Met.

Both available from MCW. Website in my other message.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Well you all should of seen this Coro,got it in Penna,it wasn't original,bench seat instead of buckets,had the 4 speed man..the back end was a 500 style,front end didnt match,it was my lil' moster.

Reply to
teem

we had a 66, that cool copper color. it was a slant 6 with a three speed on the column. man, i'd love to have it again. it was a dog, but what great mileage.

merlin has a transporter? cool.

Well you know us Pa-ers. We tend to retrieve stuff from junkyards whether it's appropriate or not. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

One of my neighbours has a '67 Dart, 4-dr. with a 6 and auto in that boring beige colour. Like Enzo says, monocolours aren't as easy to do as they look since this one has so many repainted sections and none of them match the original.

Then there's the bumper sticker imploring Merlin to beam her up. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'd bet it's the Mauve Met. I'll have to have a look at the website.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Mine had a 71 newport engine drooped in V-8.Man that carborator would backfire & once melted the accerator tension spring!,scared the piss outta me!.You seen some of those Jap colors? ,dark green& kinda burnt mustard,yeck.

Reply to
teem

in the desert it's silver or white.....when i see a vehicle of color, i look at it.

On the whole they sound better than milquetoast beige or (gag) silver. It used to be that a silver-painted car was rare and attractive. Now there are so many of them it's like a non-colour making for a null vehicle. I'll admit I tend to go for the darker shades. Greens, blues, Cornell Reds, even darker metallic browns - they all have shown up on my model cars. 'Hotter' colours aren't as attractive to me so I have few of them. I'll go for "Plum Crazy" but I'm not as likely to want "Sublime" or "Go Mango".*

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

*Chrysler's Hot colours of the '60s.
Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I'm coming into the middle of this thread so, please forgive me if I've missed significant preceding posts. I assume it is still related to 1960s car colors. I had a 1965 Corvette roadster that was Nassau Blue. The color seemed to glow when the sun hit it (and if it was clean, of course). As I recall, 1965 was the first year for Nassau Blue and it was one of the "hottest" colors of the year. When I bought mine in 1969, Corvettes in this color were still heavily in demand. Mine had the extremely rare 365HP carbureted 327 V8. It seemed in 1965 that most everyone opted for either the lower HP version or went for the top of the line 375HP fuel injection model or the 396 big block so the 365HP engine was quite uncommon. It was one hell of an engine, though and it ran like a scalded ape. Since the fuel injected version was difficult to time.synchronize and didn't run all that well if it wasn't, I beat them frequently.

There's a picture of it on link to the right - second pic down from the top:

The Corvette I had before the 65 was a 1962 model that was White. I've always has a soft spot for the body style of the 62 Corvette, even though it handled like a truck. I never liked white but that's the color it was and it was the only one on the lot at the time (you've probably already figured out that it's the first pic on the above link).

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Sorry, Bill. It's about '60s MoPar colors. Specifically, for a '67 Dodge - although ISTR that Nassau Blue is kinda' close to the color of Dick Landy's '67 Hemi & 440 drag cars that had white vinyl tops.

For extra points, name the other 'factory' team working for Plymouth that year.

-- C=2ER. Krieger (MoPar Guy=A9)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

My mistake. I'll back on out now; I don't know anything about 60s MoPar colors.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Before you leave, what is with the Sting Ray in your picture? It looked longer and thinner than I remember them. Distortion?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Probably just a distortion of the picture on the web page. I've had that happen to a couple pictures I've put on my web pages. I'll have to go back and look at it as I hadn't noticed it when I put it up..

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Sorry, Bill. It's about '60s MoPar colors. Specifically, for a '67 Dodge - although ISTR that Nassau Blue is kinda' close to the color of Dick Landy's '67 Hemi & 440 drag cars that had white vinyl tops.

For extra points, name the other 'factory' team working for Plymouth that year.

-- C.R. Krieger (MoPar Guy©)

I'm gonna try the extra points..... (wild guess).... Sox & Martin?

Mike

Reply to
MTW