Harry Truman's Bird

I picked up Minicraft's 1/144 kit of Pres. Truman's DC-6.( The Independence) The instructions include a section from the 1947 brochure that was handed out to visitors who flew aboard the plane. I found this one section particularly interesting:

Parachute Briefing: Parachutes are available for all passengers aboard " The Independence". The possibility of using parachutes is very slight; however as an additional safety pre caution the following information is included in order that passengers may know the proper procedure for the use of parachutes.

The parachutes aboard "The Independence" are for your safety and are the back pack type with a quick adjustable type harness.

The proper method of leaving the aircraft is to dive out head first and straight down. The most important single act in any parachute jump is the opening of the parachute only when you have cleared the aircraft.

In the event it becomes necessary to 'bail out' please follow the instructions of " The Independence" crew members who are thoroughly trained and competent in facilitating a orderly and safe "bail out".....

Hope you guys got the chuckle I had while reading the above. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Michael Keown

This reminds me of a story that my mom (USAF, 1955-59) likes to tell:

On the written Pilot's Exam was the question "You are flying at XX,000 feet, at an airspeed of XXX knots while carrying X,000 lbs. of payload and X passengers; among them, the President of The United States of America. Suddenly, the President falls out of the airplane. What is the first procedure that you are required to perform?"

The usual answers ranged from "Panic!" to "Call for a Rescue team."

The *correct* answer: "Re-adjust trim."

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

I can just see Bess now going out head first....

Reply to
Craig