he 111

the 11's i've seen pics of carrying v-1's have all had them mounted off center, usually on the left side. did they use bomb shackles or were they wired in electrically? were the engine starts automatic or by remote? i can't find any real info.

I believe Squadron/Signal's latest "He-111 in action" has details on the V-1 mounting and launching.

Reply to
Gary Kato

FWIW The bomb is suspended from a pylon that is mounted under the wing close to the fuselage. In some of the photos I have you can see there is a cable running from the fuselage out to the engine casing which is an electric line to start the bomb's engine. I don't have any of the references at hand right now, sorry.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

They have been hung from the left or the right on a special pylon, the '111 has hard points on both sides for that kind of thing (as does the B-17, though they would later carry JB-2s on the wing outside the outboard engines). The is a wire leading to the starter glow plug on the top of the motor and there likely is some simple start connection around the carry point on the V-1's fuselage (mostly a matter of aligning the plane and missile to the course heading, opening the compressed air for the guidance gyros, then once set up, open the compressed air to the fuel tank and charge the glow plug aht let it go) I'd guess that the valving was mechanical/pneumatic, as there were usually no electronics on board (though radio controlled/radio carrier versions did exist))

Reply to
steve gallacci

i'll try that squadron pub. i'm getting a 111 and i have a v1, the pic i saw was from the rear. it looked really cool, that cruciform tale hanging from under the beautiful curved wing. i really need piscs of both birds, the wiring shgould be easy to rig up. i keep getting drawn to the "funnies" more and more. mayve an a10 lash up.....

Actually, they were produced during the war, intended as stand off smart bombs, to be operationally launched from B-29s. After the war, they were used as practice cruise missiles while next generation missiles were in development. They were also used as target drones and there was a plan for a while to arm them with a small nuke.

Reply to
steve gallacci

Aha! The Loon! I kenw what that is! really! :) Thanx very much for the replies!

tvrtko

Reply to
Tvrtko

Two other sources are: