HMS Victory spanker

Has anyone had a problem fitting the spanker on the Heller HMS Victory? It appears that it is about two panels too wide.

It appears that the instructions for rigging the Buntlines on the missen sails are wrong. I believe the buntlinesshould rung abaft of the sail. Anyone concur with this?

C.Benson

Reply to
CA Benson

The spanker or driver is the lowest sail on the mizzen mast. It is rigged to a boom and a gaff.

C.Benson

Reply to
CA Benson

Yeah, me too. Poopdecks and now spankers; those seafarers were a kinky lot! tia

Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

The spanker is a fore-and-aft sail on the rearmost mast of a ship. In addition to provide thrust, it helps to balance the helm against the action of the various jibs and staysails that are used in going to winward.

It is called the "mizzen" sail, not "missen." Not likely. Buntlines normally run forward of the sails.

The definitive book is Eighteent-Century Rigs and Rigging, by Markquardt, published by Cornell Maritime Press. However, for Victory, you should refer to "The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships." Can't remember the author or publisher.

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

_The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships_ by C. Nepean Longridge. My edition was published in 1994 by Naval Institute Press, ISBN 0-87021-077-7. Despite the plural "Ships" in the title, the book is a very detailed work on modeling the Victory. I believe it was originally written in the late 1950's, so later research may have rendered some details in it incorrect, but overall it's an excellent resource.

Dave

Reply to
David Graf