How do I fix a scratched glass (clear part) windshield ?

Hi All

Well I was quite horrified when I attempted to remove minor scratches on a chevy truck windshield with wet 1200 grit sandpaper and it made the windshield look 10 times worse. Where did I get that idea from ? A master IPMS modeler. So my question is .....does anyone know how to remove minor scratches off a windshield (Clear model part) ? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mangry

Reply to
Mangry

Normally, it's going finer and finer to remove them - alternately, dip it in Future.

Reply to
EGMcCann

-- Larry D. Farrell, Ph.D. Professor of Microbiology Idaho State University

Reply to
Larry D. Farrell

this link to the rec.models.scale.FAQ and search for ' rec.models.scale.FAQ/part 5' scroll down the page until you find 'How can I remove scratches from transparent/clear parts?'

I am relatively new to modelling and after reading this FAQ site I now have the confidence to take on any scratched up plastic knowing that it will be as clear as a bell by the time I've finished with it.

Reply to
Richard Martins

But... doesn't that depend on which bell you're comparing it to? And does it matter if it's a canopy from a Bell aircraft or not?

:)

-Eric

Reply to
E McCann

If it starts ok with the bell, but how will the bell end?

;-)

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Get a polishing kit called 'MicroMesh'.

Reply to
frank may

Reply to
Richard Martins

Excellent ! A lot of stuff to read :)

Reply to
Jan Gelbrich

Once you have removed the scratches with 600/1200 wet/dry sand paper used wet. Get yourself some Brasso and buff out the cloudy look. Clean up with water.

T2

Reply to
THOS THOMPSON

I out to read this again when i havent just woke up

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

I've used progressive pads (4000-12000), always working at 90 degrees with the new, lower grit. It gives you a look that's very smooth, but full of tiny scratches.

Then polish with Novus or just dip in Future and let dry. Works pretty well.

Reply to
Charles Fox