how many of use etched parts

Digital_Cowboy wrote:

I really like the Eduard stuff - none for starships, but they have the widest variety I can think of for aircraft and armor, and seem to bring out new sets almost in line with new kits shortly after release. I buy a lot of my Eduard products from Squadron.
I got started with etched parts by just trying etched seat belt buckles - those and strips of masking tape make some fine looking straps. Then I started using the old Model Technologies canopy frames in addition...and then Eduard came along...and I've been hooked ever since.
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
✖
--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper
Digital_Cowboy wrote:

It should take you to the Eduard home page, then there is an "advanced search" tab at the bottom left.
Their site can be a bit flaky, but I just got onto it now - here's the link again:
http://www.eduard.com /
--
- Rufus

Add pictures here
✖
--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper
--
Digital_Cowboy
Live Long and Prosper
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Mrsteed464) wrote:

I think this thread sort of begs a major question--what photo etch are you going to stock?
I use it like crazy for 1/72 aircraft, especially generic cockpit detail to deal with the older kits that have next to nothing in the cockpit, but not for anything else. Other people use 1/48 photo etch for aircraft, or 1/24 & 1/25 sets for automobiles, or 1/350 for ships. There are other sizes too. And for which kits? Popular WWII subjects like P-51s and Spitfires and Bf 109s are fine, but you better cover several subvariants. On the other hand, how many sets are you going to sell for a Brewster Buffalo?
Your hassle as a small business owner is goingto be inventory--how do you avoid bare shelves because the popular stuff is sold out, and shelves cluttered with PE frets that have been gathering dust for five years? The real killer is to stock an aftermarket product for an old kit that really needs it and is the only kit of the subject, and then find out that Tamiya is introducing a state-of-the art kit in the same scale, rendering the old kit (and its aftermarket support) obsolete.
I'malways on favor of hobby shop owners having a big inventory of things I might buy some day. Were the shoe on the other foot, I'd think real hard about what to do.
Mark Schynert
Add pictures here
✖
I would spend a little time getting to know my regular customers. Let them guide you as to what you should stock, not a bunch of model junkies on this board. As I stated earlier in this post. I would avoid recommending PE or Resin to people just getting started or ones with lives. You will get one sale and then the frustration and time needed to finish a project will drive them out of the hobby. This is supposed to be a hobby not an obsession. I would show them the latest copy of Fine Scale Modeler with the Turmpeter 1/350 Nimitz built right out of the box with a little painting. It's a great looking model. Repeat business from people who build for themselves, not for show will impact your sales in a positive manner rather then trying to cater to the very few in this hobby who are building for competition or professionally. The professional has researched this stuff, knows where to buy it "on line" cheaper than you can sell it for. Why try to build a business around chasing that?
Add pictures here
✖

Further to this post - if you own a hobby shop, I would hope that you have some interest in the hobby. If not, you'll be floundering fairly quickly, but good luck anyway. Order in a few sets that YOU would like to use - then, in the large amount of free time that being a small business owner will grant you <remove tongue from cheek>, you can use them from the shelf to complement your own models. That way, you get PE cheap, the shop has a few onhand for any who wants 'em, and the wholesaler thinks you're OK. But DON"T buy big heaps of them in - they cost heaps, and they can be hard to shift; let the customers tell you what they want.
RobG
Add pictures here
✖
I never have actually.
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Add pictures here
✖
I use PE, but I'm selective in which parts I use. I would buy an Eduard set and only use 60-70% of the parts. Some PE is just too damn fiddly to work with, even with specialized tools like an Etch Mate.
If I were a store owner, I wouldn't stock most of the modeling aftermarket stuff out there today and there's a LOT of good aftermarket out there- resin sets, decals, photo etch, etc. But it's so specialized, the risk of not being able to sell it is too great. We've all seen the obligatory three-inch thick binder of decals gathering dust.
Sat
Add pictures here
✖