how many of use etched parts

I really like the Eduard stuff - none for starships, but they have the widest variety I can think of for aircraft and armor, and seem to bring out new sets almost in line with new kits shortly after release. I buy a lot of my Eduard products from Squadron.

I got started with etched parts by just trying etched seat belt buckles

- those and strips of masking tape make some fine looking straps. Then I started using the old Model Technologies canopy frames in addition...and then Eduard came along...and I've been hooked ever since.

Reply to
Rufus

...but you're supposed to put them on the MODEL.

Reply to
Rufus

To the best of my remembrance the 'photo' part comes from using metals that have a photosensitive layer 'painted' on. The pattern of the parts is done up as a negative. The parts you want to keep remain covered whilst the parts you want etched away are not. After exposing your metal sheet to bright light you run the 'print' through a developer (the acid). Back at Hamilton Watch we had a whole division devoted to that technique. I believe they are still around but under a different owner and name.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I never have actually.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

It's time to give that OV-10 project a rest for awhile. Work on something else and come back to it in a couple of weeks or months. It's amazing what that break can do for the creative processes. Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

I use PE, but I'm selective in which parts I use. I would buy an Eduard set and only use 60-70% of the parts. Some PE is just too damn fiddly to work with, even with specialized tools like an Etch Mate.

If I were a store owner, I wouldn't stock most of the modeling aftermarket stuff out there today and there's a LOT of good aftermarket out there- resin sets, decals, photo etch, etc. But it's so specialized, the risk of not being able to sell it is too great. We've all seen the obligatory three-inch thick binder of decals gathering dust.

Sat

Reply to
Sat
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

It should take you to the Eduard home page, then there is an "advanced search" tab at the bottom left.

Their site can be a bit flaky, but I just got onto it now - here's the link again:

Rufus
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy
Reply to