Hurricane ( not Isabel) Questions

Will someone please explain the A and B paint schemes and also the gas detection patch. Thanks, Pete

Reply to
The Laws

Pete, The A and B schemes were the same pattern but reversed left to right between fighter airframes. I think the A pattern was for use on even serialled airframes, and the B on odd numbered ones. Or was it the other way round? The scheme was designed (I think) to prevent enemy gunners having a 'preset' aiming point. However the idea was basically useless, and it was a pain for the manufacturers to comply with, so it had all but disappeared well before the ocean grey scheme was being introduced in late 1940/41. But it applied to most fighters in service during the Battle of Britain. The A scheme was universal after that. It was also widely feared that poison gas would be widely used in a future conflict (witness the gas masks supplied to British civilians at the outbreak of war), so to protect pilots, a gas detection panel was placed on the upper wing, near the wing root where it could be easily seen from the cockpit. The panel usually took the form of a mustard yellow (a more greenish than orange yellow) patch about 18 inches square and was designed to change colour in the presence of gas. (Change to what colour exactly, I'm not sure). Hope this helps, Chek

Reply to
Chek

No, you've got it right. Pip Moss I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

How "standard" was this philosophy? Wasn't it also used on Spitfires in that era? Was it used on most/all aircraft in that period?

Reply to
Greg Heilers