I don't care what you guys say....

Heh, it wasn't you in the news there the other day was it? 72-yr old ex-boxer gives young neighbour a good beating after latter attacks oldtimer with kitchen knife on suspecting that the latter had called the cops owing to the "all night party" going on the previous night.... was in the Sun or something this week, pics and all. Very satisfying to see!

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

My best friend, an Israeli, was often accosted on Saturday mornings around 8 AM in Kyoto by JW's (usually 2 Japanese females) knocking on the door and asking to.... (no, not that!). So after ignoring time after time, eventually one day he opened up the door and when they began their spiel, he told them, "Look, I'm Jewish". Their memorable reply: "That's OK, anyone can join." LOL

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

yes, we have had some like that.

Reply to
someone

cool, i did not know that. love them factoids.

Reply to
someone

none of whom get my respect.

Reply to
someone

look up hack writers in your dictionary and there's mo ron. campbell published him out of pity. he had a story in the same issue of the magazine that heinlein did. heinlein not pleased....

Reply to
someone

answering door naked guarantys no returns.

Reply to
someone

The Old Man wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@32g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

I actually like Battlefield Earth. Yeah it's hokey in spots, but really most SciFi is anyway. Look at 50s era scifi movies some of them are barely watchable unless you really dial back your cred meter. And look at the dreck the SciFi channel produces, other than the series the SGs which I like, BSG, etc. The movies for the most part are horrible, ridiculous stories, improbable science, laughable dialog and character development. Travolta makes me laugh in BFE, he's so cartoonish evil to me, the arrogant overlord that can't see the ability of those he oppresses because of his bigoted views. And the "corporate" society gone mad. It's not a great movie but it so much better than so much that is out there.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

good one.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:rvc3m.268013$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-07.dc.easynews.com:

Depends how yer fixed. 8)

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Or the next best thing...

A few decades ago, I was at the beach one summer with my gal, my brother and his wife. It was afternoon and we had just gotten back to the cottage after a day at the beach. Me and the bro just had trunks on, his wife was in her bikini and my gal was in the shower. When the knock came at the door my sister-in-law answered the door. She was a department store manager at the time and kind of prided herself on handling people and managing trouble, especially with the clueless.

Two JWs started giving her their spiel, while she's trying to give them a polite brush off. After a few minutes go by she's still trying to sweep them off the deck and her voice is getting a little louder each time. Finally my brother gets up and goes over to the door. He doesn't say anything, just stands there for a minute sizing them up. They keep on yammering and I'm kind of getting a little rattled 'cause I'm thinking just shut the friggin' door in their face. That's when it hit me.

I got up and went over to the door and stood on the other side of my sister-in-law and put my arm around her. My brother picked up on it and he did the same. We just bunched up and got all cozy looking with these big shit eating grins on our faces. The JWs are just jaw dropped. One of us asked them if they'd like to come in and join us and...

... POOF!

They were gone faster than a campaign promise in December. I can still see the look on their faces. We laughed about that for years.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

To a couple of JF's? Way to go!!!!

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

is that the 50 volume thing? whichever was the many volumes set, a friend of mine was absolutly addicted to them. she is otherwise quite sane.

Reply to
someone

pull a john waters and tie a rubber chicken to mr happy.

Reply to
someone

gernot, i started the tachikoma and did you know it's the translucent model? those are very cool. thanks again for getting that for me. i wonder if there's a fuchikoma kit? the insanity never ends.

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:O6g3m.267222$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-09.dc.easynews.com:

I'm just talking about the movie.

I may actually have some L Ron on the scifi book rack, hafta check. I think I read something before I knew who he was. Don't remember much, I reckon it didn't leave much of an impression.

Not like Starship Troopers. Love the book but what a suck ass movie they made of it. It's the damn suits that's what the MI was all about, not dropping 'em onto some rock with a jazzed up M-16! I was sorely pissed that they didn't fo the Mobile Suits.

Of course I'm also the guy that read all the Aliens books. Hey it's a creepy story, though the biology and purpose of the damn critters is never explained. They just are.

Long Live the Colonial Marines!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

glad you are enjoying it! i don't remember if it said on the box translucent or not, but i'm certainly glad you got a good deal there!

happy happy modeling... Gernot

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

You and every other Heinlein fan. Verhoeven used the title to make a movie that leaves out Heinlein's main what-if argument (could there be something better than a warm-body democracy) and turns the rest upside down (The MI are a bunch of cowboys). His only purpose can have been to pour scorn on Heinlein's most emotive work.

2/3 of the way down for the movie section)

Alien is a haunted-house movie. The monster just has to be scary, you aren't supposed to worry about how it works :-)

Reply to
Alan Dicey

An alternative, told by a somewhat bookish friend:

Express interest, but say you're busy, can they come back some evening next week?

Arrange for the Mormon and Hare Krishna evangelists to come at the same time.

Sit back and take notes.

OR

Wait till they start quoting the Bible at you, then tell them they're wrong. Prove it by bringing down your own Bible and reading the accurate quote to them.

In Greek

Reply to
Alan Dicey

What's funny is my one run in with JWs was fast and easy. I opened the door to two women. They gave me a quick pitch about a meeting, handed me a paper and left. They gave me the evil-eye but were otherwise polite. I was in an old beat up t shirt and hadn't shaved, so maybe the "homeless bum with no money" look has merit.

Reply to
eyeball