I don't care what you guys say....

i miss the dewey decimal. never had to struggle to find a book.

Reply to
someone

don't you use the club of memory? whack, remember now? whack, remember now? yeah, yeah.....!

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote in news:9uV4m.256548$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-08.dc.easynews.com:

Do you know how hard a 15 yo's head is? I fear I might stave it in before realization dawns. Thank God his 16 yo cousin is visitng. He's glad to be here and a hard worker.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

So did I but they won't hire one. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

Where'd it go?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

in the dumpster

Reply to
someone

This has come up before, but if you haven't heard the story . . . The studio wanted a happy ending, but the screenwriter Valentine Davies insisted on staying true to the book. He put up a fight and was backed by star William Holden, who said he wouldn't do the picture if they changed the ending. Holden's brother was a naval aviator killed in WW2. His friends said that Holden's performance was based on him.

Reply to
tomcervo

Assuming this to be true, what the heck are libraries using now? I haven't been in to the library in some time since the parking meters got so greedy.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

simple alphabets.

Reply to
someone

Well the fiction section usually is alphabetically shelved. Happily, Dewey D is alive and well in the non-fiction section of public and school libraries in NC. You don't actually have to step into one these days to see. I browse the local stacks online. I can check on availability, reserve a copy and even check out a book and then drop by later to pick it up. I'd be real surprised to learn that we here in Dogpatch have a more advanced library system than the rest of the country. Check online, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Ya gotta love the 21st Century... in some respects.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I'd miss the smell of the books. There is actually a library here in my township but I've never been inside. I can't moan about parking meters there as there are none. I just never have the time. Now why did I think you were in Alabama?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak

Well, the internet for one thing. Interlibrary Loan for another, which means you can find that book on amphibious tanks at a library across the state, order it online and pick it up at your local library.

Reply to
tomcervo

Our old library at work used LOC indexing, but most public libraries still use DD. Yes, IL is really great- I use it all the time. And it wouldn't work NEARLY as well but for the computers!

In addition to use for books, I also frequently request journal and magazine articles, and usually they just send copies, and as long as the library that has the periodical belongs to a certain organization that my library also belongs to, the copy is free. Very seldom do I have to pay for the copy.

So, while the internet is my first search resource when starting a new model, if it is one I really want to put effort into, the library is next. I can access my library's catalog from my home computer, so it is easy to see if the system has anything. If not, I do an online search for applicable books and email a librarian with the IL request.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Sunday was deadsville on TV so I yanked out my taped copy of "Enemy Below" and thoroughly enjoyed it. I taped it about 18 years ago on the old AMC and enjoyed no commercial interruptions.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
William Banaszak