Incorrectly boxed model value?

I'm trying to help someone determine the value of a Revell Monogram SnapTite model that was incorrectly boxed. The model is Kit # 85-1310, which is supposed to be Jeff Gordon. The body inside the factory sealed box is Dale Earnhardt's #3 car. Pictures of the model can be seen at

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
Les

Um, if it's a factory sealed box, how do you know what's in it? That sounds like these eBay auctions that decribe a model as "factory sealed, never opened, complete". How do they know it's complete???? :)

Les wrote:

85-1310,
Reply to
frank

Since anyone can put another model in a different box...we all do it...unless it's a known factory error that,say a dozen cases shipped that way...it's worth the cost of the plastic inside.Even less since it's a snap kit...

Reply to
Eyeball2002308
Reply to
Digital_Cowboy

Factory sealed, as the tape holding the box closed looks like it has never been tampered with. I know what's in it due to the clear "window" showcasing the incorrect body.

Les

Reply to
Les

The 3rd picture in the link I posted shows tape holding the box closed. You have to look very close, but it's visible.

Les

Reply to
Les

That's a tough call - you'd most likely have to find a rabid NASCAR collector that has to have *everything*. As always the best bet would probably be to put it on eBay and see what the market says.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Kinda what I was thinking. I'll leave it up to the owner as to what she wants to do with it.

Les

Reply to
Les

The good folks on RMS may not be able to offer much assistance as we build all of the kits that we buy, so we wouldn't know the value of an unopened box.

Right, guys? :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Well I have a few unopened boxes but that's usually because I have multiples of the kit......

Reply to
Ron

Riiiiiigghhht.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

That's like one I saw on eBay. An IMAI (IIRC) where the box was labeled "Viking Warship" with a box art picture showing a Greek bireme. Contents were the Greek ship as well. Definate oopsey!

The Old Timer

Sure, and I use all the Triumph motorcycle parts I buy...

Les

Reply to
Les

Exactly. It's a simple mistake, considering the kit was molded and packaged in China. We're just wondering if there's a market for one like this.

Les

Reply to
Les

got a set of working clocks for a tr6r that won't leave me broke?regs, not chrono's.

Nope, those aren't high on my list of needed items. I haven't ran a speedo in the past 6 years. My bike is as basic as it gets...

Les

Reply to
Les

Mistakes are real valuable in philately and numismatics but less so in the model realm. You could bark it as a "rare packaging mistake" and maybe list at five over retail. You'd need a rabid collector to get a sale. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

i need a tach for my riding style. and casehardened vavle springs.

Contact Hackasaw at snipped-for-privacy@hackasaw.com or call 615-374-9709 & see what he has available. Tell him some homebuilt hack'd Triumph rider sent you.

Les

Reply to
Les