Jules Verne's Nautilus

I have an old unfinished Comet Miniatures model of Jules Verne's Nautilus that is 12 inches long (scale is about 1/232). It looks simular to the Walt Disney's version of the submarine.

I was wondering how to make the interior of the Salon and Wheelhouse ( just enough that would be seen through the windows )?. I am thinking of vacuum formed walls and floors, but I'm not sure how to do the divan, the specimen case and instrument panel that would show up through the Salon observation windows, and the Wheelhouse.

I created a card stock mock-up of the Salon interior ( Diameter of 1& 3/8" X 3" with an opening for the observation window area of 1" Diameter ) some years ago and found out that the divan, the specimen case and instrument panel would show up through the Salon observation windows. So far I haven't found any after market kit, furniture or Ships Wheel small enough for that scale.

I wrote to a custom model company a couple of years ago, they said it they could do it and it would cost a thousand dollars to create.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to do this?

Thank you, Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

That's an odd enough scale to be sure but you can scratch build what you need with minimal effort. Try a railroad store and see if they have anything in N scale that would fulfill your needs. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

I didn't bother with the salon (which I now regret), but I fliched the wheel and binnacle from the old Revell USS Ward kit for the wheelhouse. That's all that can really be seen in there. You may want to use some thick solder for the various pipes on the bulkheads and deckhead.

Reply to
Jeff C

Reply to
Brian Francis

The divan could be sculpted from a little ball of epoxy putty (Milliputt or similar). Handles like clay. Use water to prevent tools from sticking to the putty. Hardens in a couple of hours, takes paint well. You may be able to find an N-Guage railroad brake wheel you could modify as a ship's wheel. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Lafimprov

Getting allot of good info so far. Since I just learned SolidWorks 3D modeling, I thought about using Stereolithography (Resin cured by laser light one layer at a time. It is also known as a 3D Printer). How ever it cold be very costly. I don't know how well the resin holds up to glue?

Wouldn't Z gauge be closer to the scale of 1/232? Isn't N gauge about 1/144 scale?

If all else failed, one solution would be to close off the Salon windows with the Camera shutter Iris that I saw photos of used on the custom model in the Modellers Resource magazine.

Gary

Reply to
m.gary.kroman

N Gauge is 1/160th. Don't know about Z Gauge. Then again, the vessel itself is fictional, so the scale is at best, approximate. GPO

Reply to
Lafimprov

Earlier this year Disney released a very limited run (IIRC 1,000) 1/96 scale models of the Nautilus.

Being a Disney collector and a 20kLUS fan I grabbed one. Price was about $200. This is a display model, not a kit.

It is beautiful. Resin model in a distressed brass finished Very detailed, but no interior. They dealt with the interior by having frosted windows. It is lit from the inside, the effect being lights underwater. The switch is the dorsal shore boat. It comes on a black wood stand.

I ordered the display case for it this week. It's going in the living room on a low brick divider which has alway been an eyesore for "I'll leave it here and put it away later" stuff. Bought a sheet of dressed marble to top the brickwork and the sub goes on top.

Next trip to Disneyland I'll pick up a small poster of the movie to go on the wall behind the case.

If you have a chance (e-bay, etc.) to get one of these go for it.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I 'think' Z is 1/220th. It's been awhile since I had my nose in a model railroad magazine though.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Personally, I wish I had more horizontal surfaces like that, they're always hard to find! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Installed the 80 lb polished marble slab today. Sub on black wood stand and protective cover in place tonight.

Lynne liked it so much she re-arranged the track lighting to spot it.

Next comes the movie poster. Tonight I'm looking for my great-grandfather's boxed ship's compass to add to the display.

Disney + modeling= danger! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72