History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle

The History of the American Sailing Navy The Ships and their Development By Howard I. Chapelle Bonanza Books - New York
Copyright 1949
Hard cover in good condition, slightly soiled, solid binding. There is no dust cover.
I believe this is a first edition.
558 Pages with 200 plans, half tones and a full color reproduction of a painting of George C. Wales.
The author presents the full story of the building of our sailing Navy from colonial times to the time of the last all sailing man-of-war, built just prior to the Civil War. Design and construction of every kind of ship is fully detailed. Old classic and one of the best historical accounts of American Sailing ever published.
Howard I. Chapelle was a naval architect and was recognized as one of America's leading maritime historians. This volume of nautical lore is the first complete history ever published of the development of the various types of sailing vessels and rigs in America from the earliest Colonial craft and including modern racing and cruising yachts. It is an authoritative account of a vital phase of our national history, told by a professional naval architect who knows sailing ships thoroughly. Great for ship enthusiasts, model builders, or naval history buffs.
For Sale on E-Bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category )223&itemi057490 80&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
DuLaze wrote:

FWIW If you are interested in the History of the American Navy's early days, this book is your meat. An excellent work.
                        Bill Shuey                      (I have a copy)
It really is all that and more! Found one on the bargin table at our local B&N Grab one if your at all intrested in sailing ships.
_/) Frog _/)