Movie News: Battle of the River Platte

I don't know if this is old news or not but...

It appears this movie has been remastered and released on Region 1 DVD.

I saw part of this movie 25 or 30 years ago (probably more) and have been searching for it ever since. The only thing I ever found was VHS or DVD in UK formats.

I got mine from "bitobritain" on ebay. I've bought stuff from him before, but I only noticed it as I did my annual Google/Yahoo/Ebay search for the movie. It's not here yet but I have a bowl of popcorn waiting. Maybe everyone will watch it with me like when I got Dambusters.

He also has some wingy things movies that might interest some people, plus a butt load of other British war movies, many I've not seen before.

No connection to the seller, just passing on the news.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Which one is it? Is this the one that was released in the USA as "Pursuit of the Graf Spee?"

That one dates from 1956 and had a US cruiser stand in for the late Graf Spee and a great cast.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

on 7/11/2009 11:21 AM (ET) Gray Ghost wrote the following:

I served on that 'Graf Spee' actor right after the movie was made.

Reply to
willshak

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z34g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

From the posting:

This is a brand-new factory produced reissue of the classic British war film. Digitally remastered. THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE tells of the pursuit of the German battleship Graf Spee, one of the most gripping episodes of World War 11. November 1939: crack pocket battleship Admiral Graf Spee patrols the South Atlantic. Captained by Hans Langdorff (Peter Finch) one of Germany's most brilliant naval officers-Graf Spee,with her superior speed,appears and disappears,sinking ship after ship and threatening to cut off crucial Allied supplies. But the net is tightening round the German Killer as the last ship sunk by her managed to radio her position before she went down. Three British cruisers,posing as a naval task force,are charged with setting the trap.... BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE is notable for it's amazing sea battles-made with the cooperation of,among others,the Admiralty,Royal Navy and US Navy- and the non-stereotypical depiction of characters on both sides of the war. Careful digital restoration now ensures THE BATTLE OF THE RIVER PLATE can be seen in it's full visual glory. Imported in Region 1 NTSC format. It will play on your North American DVD player. S&H $2.50.00 in US--$3.50 into Canada. PaYment may be PayPal or Visa/Mastercard.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

0vbl.googlegroups.com: