Re: The 4 most important sailing Ships?

For what it is worth, here is my take on the 4 most historically important sailing ships.

In order chronological:

Phoenician Trading Ship - These ships were a major step forward in both trade expansion and the exhcange of culture between civilizations surrounding the Med.

Viking Long Ship - Brought the Norse to Europe, England and probably North America.

Santa Maria - Really a terrible ship, but as flagship of Columbus' expedition is credited with "Finding" the "New World".

HMS Victory - Not just as Nelson's flagship at Trafalgar, but as representative of the Britain's Royal Navy that dominated the oceans of the world for two centuries. This domination fostered and is, atleast partially, the reason the British Empire's domination of the world was as big, and lasted as long, as it did.

Just my two cents...

Nat Richards

Reply to
Richa5011
  1. Noah's Ark 2. Greek galley 3. Santa Maria 4. Clermont
Reply to
Joe Drees

Caught part of a fascinating show on the Chinese Junk on TLC or something like that. Dunno if this is really true- Supposedly, the Junk was the most advanced ship in the world for centuries- first with fully battened sails, (watertight?) bulkheads, and multiple masts. Legend has it Marco Polo was fascinated with them and made extensive notes and drawings during his travels, which he took back home. Its features were incorporated into european ships, which soon started crossing the oceans...

There were cargo junks, fishing junks, pirate junks, ocean going junks, family home junks... They have evolved over the centuries and are still being used. There are images of junks on some cave walls from way back. Found very little on them when I tried researching them after seeing the show.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

I'm having a hard time picking just four. Here are some candidates, in no particular order:

Cook's HMS Endeavour HMS Victory Mayflower Santa Maria Viking Longship Darwin's HMS Beagle Drake's Golden Hind (second ship to circumnavigate the globe, first captain to survive the voyage) Flying Cloud, Cutty Sark: representative of the great clippers Chinese Junk Thor Heyerdahl's Kon-Tiki and/or Ra Victoria (First ship to circumnavigate the globe, one of Magellan's ships) Joshua Slocum's Spray (First solo circumnavigaion, in 1895-98)

I think I'd go with Endeavour, Victory, Santa Maria, and Victoria

Reply to
RC Boater

1 - HMS. Victory 2 - Mayflower 3 - Cutty Sark 4 - Santa Maria 5 - Nina 6 - Pinta 7 - Beagle 8 - Mary Rose

Yippee!!

Nige

Reply to
The Incredible Swearing Man©

1) For an American, the Constitution class frigates come to mind as the first proof positive served to the prevailing eorld powers that the Americans could home grow warship designs superior to their European counterparts. As goes a nation's seafaring force, so goes the nation. 2) For an Australian, all those ships that set sail for Botany Bay would seem to be of some import. 3) For the descendants of African-American slaves and the descendants of buyers and sellers of said slaves, the ships that brought them from West Africa to the Americas would be of some importance. 4) For those that settled North America from the late 15th Century on, those three miserable little ships named Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria achieved something on par with man's first walk on the moon. 5) The Clipper ships that opened up viable global sea lanes are not insignificant either.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

And it has the most parts too!

Reply to
Craig

Probably depends upon the mfgr. In plastic, Hellers 1:100 HMS Victory has 2107 parts (and 300 yards of rigging line) - Hellers

1:100 le Soleil Royale has over 2300 pieces. It'll take me years to build these 2 ships alone, but what a treat.
Reply to
John DeBoo

Didn't have sails :)

Ditto.

I wonder why nobody suggested the first log with an animal skin tied to it?

Reply to
Jeff C

Very Good!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Dale wrote:

Reply to
Richa5011

Cutty Sark and Flying Cloud. Let's not forget the world of commerce.

-John

Reply to
Pacific95

Didn't exist!!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Macrae

As a software developer, I find that the Wasa (aka Vasa) is significant. I've never built a sailing ship before (I'm into aircraft) but I just bought the Airfix Wasa kit after reading a book called "Object Lessons" by Tom Love. "Object Lessons" is a book about applying Object-Oriented technology and the first chapter describes Swedish King Gustav's 1625 flagship, the Wasa. King Gustav wanted the biggest, baddest warship in the world and commissioned the Wasa. Due to changing requirements and unplanned features (scope creep) the ship proudly sailed one mile out of harbor, capsized, and sank. The point of the story is that things that can doom a software development project are not new and have doomed other projects throughout history. So I wanted to build a model of the Wasa as a reminder of these types of project management problems.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Sagara

Is this the one that was top heavy because they added another deck of guns? Some guy paddled around the bay for 17 years in a row boat dropping a pipe with a sharpened end attached to a rope and finally found that one. It was raised and is in a museum in Sweden.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

See, tolja it didn't have sails :)

Reply to
Jeff C

Nahhh, nothing like that EVER happens. As a retired project mgr for computer apps I can think of a few 'Vasa's' I've seen in the past. Best part of it was when "I told you but you wouldn't listen." "Willful ignorance shopuld be painfil."

Reply to
John DeBoo

In the same vain...How about HMS Warrior.... a bit of a hybrid... end of the old begining of the new...

OR.. How about the "Star of India" moored in San Diego, and stilled sailed each fall around the harbour... one of (or the) first all steel (iron?)hulled clipper type ships from circa 1867 or so...

and

HMS Victory as the classic example of 18th century brut force USS Consitution as the 1st example of superior design and armamemt rising above European traditions..

the problem with ships like the "Wasa" and "Mary Rose" is that they are more shining examples of bad engineering (or blantantly exceeding design specs) rather than good engineering since they both flopped over and sank...

~Voigt

Reply to
Voigt Lander

Someone over here buil the Le Soleil Royale in somewhat less than a year (8 or 9 months, maybe 10). I keep forgetting to go take some pictures of it (it's on display inside a huge glass casing in the middle of a local hobby shop).

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

Didn't exist !

Reply to