Kit Collection Buyer Ads in FSM

just curious as to what they offer. I am still quite in denial in thinking I will finish/start or even look at all I have... at least five models on the way, and not a one has been completed in the past year.

Anyone ever dealt with a collection buyer? Is it usually a flat rate offered? 50 cents on the dollar?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Heh. You wish! It's more like 10 or 20 cents on the dollar, and that's on the original retail price not the collector value (if any).

Reply to
Al Superczynski

if they are like record collection buyers, the initial offer will be, well, there's a lot i don't really need, but i'll tell ya what, i'll take the pile for 25 bucks.

If that is what its like, I think that in 10 or so years, I'll just haul my stash down, line them up in the back yard had have at them with a pellet rifle.......

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I think losing money by selling collections must happen in all hobbies...about

15 years ago I tried to sell my old comic collection.I had a few worth hundreds $$$(I also read the price guides religiously) The owner of the comic shop almost creamed his jeans...then looks at me and says"I can't use them,but if you need to get rid of them I'll give you 20 dollars" Needless to say they are still with me...
Reply to
Eyeball2002308

you could post a few at a time here. any lindberg stuff?

too bad there isn't some sort of slab system like with coins. it may have made rare coins a commodity, but at least you can collect without getting too badly hosed.

I collected coins too,but mostly the foreign coins in the 4 for a dollar box (I was about 12 at the time)...can't give em away.OTOH what little silver in my collection sold quickly...to pay for models :)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

why don't you post a few at a time here? any lindberg?

i dumped all my common date crap in 78, but the quality stuff still racks up 10-20% per year. soon i may be able to sell some.

Not knowing what you have, I would still guess that you would be better off by either:

-Advertising them here

--or--

-Auctioning them on EBay (although EBay recently upped their charges)

Remember, the collection buyer has to make a profit and compete with EBay and the like when he tries to resell the kit...

Just my 2¢ Sten

Reply to
Sten

Yes Yes...I would be happy to help you Mr.Santos L.Halper..... Seriously,Wouldn't you rather give the community a first shot, knowing that we would give the best market value? Any others could be donated and you can decuct market value. Better then a sleazy collection buyer who will then turnaround and sell at a high profit on e-bay or trolling school yards......

rich

hobbies...about

Reply to
Rich

Reply to
Bill

This isn't the stock market.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

I think the best bet is to rent a vendor table at a large contest and price the stuff to move--the table fee will be a lot less than eBay and you don't have to deal with PayPal, the post office and so on. The stuff no one wants is probably worth little, and can be donated to veteran's hospitals or a make'n'take (if it's simple to build), parted out, put in the Goodwill bag, or just tossed out.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Sometimes people want to go with a collector because it is easy to get rid of a lot of things at once. Selling on the modeling web pages or eBay can be a massive burden if you have a couple of hundred kits to get rid of. Tracking payments, who gets what, boxing everything up, and taking boxes to the post office can be overwhelming if you are one person with a day job.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

The true collectible kits are the ones you want to put on eBay, but I suspect it's easy to be deluded about how collectable one's kits are.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

it certainly works for old pc stuff. i regularly went to the mit flea and dumped

2-3 pallets of stuff. people will buy anything.

Grandpa

Ha! I'm taking them with me! ;-)

Tom

Reply to