Kit Collection Buyer Ads in FSM

just curious as to what they offer. I am still quite in denial in
thinking I will finish/start or even look at all I have... at least five
models on the way, and not a one has been completed in the past year.
Anyone ever dealt with a collection buyer?
Is it usually a flat rate offered? 50 cents on the dollar?
Craig
Reply to
Craig
Heh. You wish! It's more like 10 or 20 cents on the dollar, and that's on the original retail price not the collector value (if any).
Reply to
Al Superczynski
if they are like record collection buyers, the initial offer will be, well, there's a lot i don't really need, but i'll tell ya what, i'll take the pile for 25 bucks.
If that is what its like, I think that in 10 or so years, I'll just haul my stash down, line them up in the back yard had have at them with a pellet rifle.......
Craig
Reply to
Craig
I think losing money by selling collections must happen in all hobbies...about 15 years ago I tried to sell my old comic collection.I had a few worth hundreds $$$(I also read the price guides religiously) The owner of the comic shop almost creamed his jeans...then looks at me and says"I can't use them,but if you need to get rid of them I'll give you 20 dollars" Needless to say they are still with me...
Reply to
Eyeball2002308
you could post a few at a time here. any lindberg stuff?
too bad there isn't some sort of slab system like with coins. it may have made rare coins a commodity, but at least you can collect without getting too badly hosed.
I collected coins too,but mostly the foreign coins in the 4 for a dollar box (I was about 12 at the time)...can't give em away.OTOH what little silver in my collection sold quickly...to pay for models :)
Reply to
Eyeball2002308
why don't you post a few at a time here? any lindberg?
i dumped all my common date crap in 78, but the quality stuff still racks up 10-20% per year. soon i may be able to sell some.
Not knowing what you have, I would still guess that you would be better off by either: -Advertising them here --or-- -Auctioning them on EBay (although EBay recently upped their charges)
Remember, the collection buyer has to make a profit and compete with EBay and the like when he tries to resell the kit...
Just my 2¢ Sten
Reply to
Sten
Yes Yes...I would be happy to help you Mr.Santos L.Halper..... Seriously,Wouldn't you rather give the community a first shot, knowing that we would give the best market value? Any others could be donated and you can decuct market value. Better then a sleazy collection buyer who will then turnaround and sell at a high profit on e-bay or trolling school yards......
rich
hobbies...about
Reply to
Rich
What's sleazy about buying low and selling high? Isn't that the entire idea of the stock market?
Reply to
Bill
This isn't the stock market.
Tom
Reply to
Tom Hiett
I think the best bet is to rent a vendor table at a large contest and price the stuff to move--the table fee will be a lot less than eBay and you don't have to deal with PayPal, the post office and so on. The stuff no one wants is probably worth little, and can be donated to veteran's hospitals or a make'n'take (if it's simple to build), parted out, put in the Goodwill bag, or just tossed out.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
Sometimes people want to go with a collector because it is easy to get rid of a lot of things at once. Selling on the modeling web pages or eBay can be a massive burden if you have a couple of hundred kits to get rid of. Tracking payments, who gets what, boxing everything up, and taking boxes to the post office can be overwhelming if you are one person with a day job.
Dave
Reply to
Dave Williams
The true collectible kits are the ones you want to put on eBay, but I suspect it's easy to be deluded about how collectable one's kits are.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
it certainly works for old pc stuff. i regularly went to the mit flea and dumped 2-3 pallets of stuff. people will buy anything.
Put a selling price sticker on each one and let them sit. When you kick the bucket your wife will know what to sell them for.
Craig wrote:
Reply to
Grandpa
Ha! I'm taking them with me! ;-)