Lend Lease?

Did the US ever ship P-47s to the Soviets as part of the lend lease agreement and if they did what type? The reason I make this query is that I was over at a friends, the other day, and his son was playing a air combat simulator game called 'IL 2 Sturmovik' but this kid was flying a P-47N with green paint and the Red Star on the wings and fuselage? He( my friend's son) said the plane was part of the games inventory of controllable aircraft. The boy or his father had never heard of 'Lend Lease' so I post this question to some of you who may have some better insight than I. I know we gave the Russian's lots of our second line a/c but P-47s??? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

and if they did what type?<

We supplied P-47Ds to the USSR during the war. I think it was around 200 in number and they were Bubble Tops.

CB

Reply to
Jinxx1

Try a quick google search...I found several instances mentioning this,such as:

this helps But in any case I wouldnt count a video game as a serious source of info lol

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I see from this reference they were $83,000 seems a bit pricy at the time, of course now......

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

i've seen 50l for a p-51 and 250 for a 17.

Well, I guess that answers my question. Thank You all for your help and Seasons Greetings! Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

"Russian Civil and Military Aircraft, 1884-1969" (Nowarra, 1970) gives the following list of types and quantities in Lend Lease to the USSR:

P-40 2097 (270 Tomahawks and Kittyhawks from the UK might fall in this total or might be separate in whole or in part) A-20 2908 P-39 4746 P-63 2400 B-25 862 O-52 30 AT-6 82 P-47 195 PBN/PBY 185

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Don't foget the 3 B-29s... I mean Tu-4 prototypes ;-)

WmB

WmB

The same site (and excuse the split URL earlier you'll have to splice to get it to work) listed these prices for the others. I'd have to think that there was some sort of conversion error since the prices you listed seem ore in line with what I've seen before. These prices are reprinted out of the book "Red Stars 4" which looks like it would be a hell of a nice resource for some interesting color schemes.

P-40 Kittyhawk - 44.900 dollars, P-39 Airacobra - 50.700 dollars and P-47 Thunderbolt - 83.000 dollars.

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen Epps

weren't they involuntarily relocated rather than shipped?

No wonder the Russians didn't trust us after the war!

Reply to
Tom Cervo

If that's another way to say they were stolen, um yes.

WmB To reply, get the HECK out of there snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
WmB

well, sorta stolen. they weren't allowed to leave. but at least the aircrew was.

IIRC only 18 made it there (12 sunk at sea), and the Soviets discarded them after about a week.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

*Soviet bureaucrat mode (with heavy Russian accent) on*

We prefer to use the terms "Interned" or "Confiscated in the interests of State security"...

*Soviet bureaucrat mode off*
Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall