Lousiville KY area hobby shops/clubs

There is a small chance that I may be offered an IT job at one of the major employers in the Louisville area.

Relocating is a no brainer, less traffic, cheaper homes, less expensive standard of living. But if course can I feed the monkey? Yahoo Yellow pages lists 17 hobby shops more or less within 20 miles of Lousiville. Lots of trains and RC from the look of it. Scale Reproductions seems to be the big dog, being associated with the local IPMS affiliate Modelers Club of Louisville (MMCL).

The MMCL website looks very promising.

Anyone familiar with the area for a more personal appraisal?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The MMCL folks are down right friendly! Their shows, when they have them, are my wife's favorite.

-- Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

I'm a member of MMCL and visit Scale Reproductions at least once a month, normally on the same day as the club meeting. This is my third posting at Ft. Knox, but since the first two were just for Armor Officer Basic and Armor Officer Advance courses, I've been here longer this trip than my previous two assignments.

My one major gripe is when I was stationed at Devens, Mass., I had at least 4-5 local shows within a one hour drive. Here, the local show is biennial, but it is a larger, regional show. Here, other "local" shows are around 100+ miles from Louisville.

There is a small shop in Elizabethtown, but the selection is not that great, although some estate sale type models show up on their shelves from time to time bringing great bargins. But there are catch as catch can and you have to just get lucky.

Ft. Knox's Patton Museum sells some armor models, mainly Tamiya at MSRP.

Reply to
RobG

"RobG" wrote in news:1159360734.746826.309450 @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the Patton Museum.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The display tanks are superior to the Aberdeen display tanks (except for APG's recently restored vehicles). Additionally, the Ordnance Museum's entire building could fit in the Armor Museum's main display hall. Many great pieces on display inside and dozens of tanks on display throughout the installation. Give me a holler when you get down here and we'll hook up.

The Corvette Museum is about two hours south of Louisville on I-65 if you're into that type of modeling as well.

Reply to
RobG

"RobG" wrote in news:1159452465.598616.244920 @d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Thanks, I was disapointed with the condition of the APG vehicles.

It is a go BTW, they made the offer today. My wife is gone nuts, we're looking at a larger house on more land for less money then our current home is worth and a much shorter and less stressful commute. Maybe this is the payoff for all the hard work we've done so far, I hope so. I'm hoping to get a lot large enough to shoot on, too. That would be about as cherry as it gets.

Are you in the Louisville area? A member of MMCL? I really like thier setup.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I am a member of MMCL but I live 40 miles south down at Ft. Knox. I make the drive up there for the meetings.

Reply to
RobG

"RobG" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

Only 40 miles to Ft Knox? Sounds like a pleasant afternoon drive!! APG was a couple hours only went after the AMPS show. Say isn't ther an AMPS chapter thereabouts?

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

If you like science fiction,monster,horror figures then you are in luck. Each year they hold a big figure show in louisville. It is called Wonderfest. I think it is held in the executive west hotel near the airport. You can do a google to get more info.

Dan Beavers

Reply to
Dan

40 miles or less depending on where you settle down. MMCL is both IPMS and AMPS affiliated.
Reply to
RobG

"RobG" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Probably won't get to a meeting before November's unless I have time to hit a workshop. Just look for the the FNG - bald headed with glasses. Of course that might already describe most of the membership. 8)

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost