M41 Bulldog - Help with markings for MT NG - 1955-ish???

Ok, no really... I am really starting my AFV Club M41 Bulldog kit now. Sprue is being snipped. I am building it in honor of my Grandfather who passed away early this year. He was the HQ CO Lt. Col. for the 163rd Armored Cavalry of the Montana National Guard after WWII. In WWII he was one of the famed "Jungleers" of the 41st ("Sunset") division and fought in the Pacific for the duration. He never EVER spoke of the war... he was such a peaceful man. I hope that he would approve of my chosing to build a model representing his time in the MT NG in PEACEtime. He was always very proud of his service for the country.

I have a booklet that was made for that regiment in 1955 and there are a few grainy photos in it which I have scanned and will put up on alt.binaries.models.scale under the same heading as here.

I am mainly an aircraft modeller, but build armor occasionally. I am not as confident or comfortable with armor references and research, however, so would love any help you might be able to provide.

I am hoping that y'all can help me with any obvious alterations I might need to make to the AFV Club kit as close to what my Gpa worked with? Especially the markings!!! Help!!? For instance, I don't see the US Star in any of these photos. Did the NG not use that marking? In the 5th photo, what approx would you guess all the writing on the turret would be? The AFV Club kit has a decal for "3rd CAV" that goes on the front... would it be somewhat accurate-ish if I just alter that to "163rd CAV" ???? We have an ALPS so I can make my own decals if necessary.

Am I right that these all appear to show the later barrel?

I have written a letter to the MT NG museum in Billings and hope they will be able to assist me, too. My best guess, naturally, is that their letter and reference help will arrive some mere hours after I shoot the last cover coat of dullcote on the finished tank. If so... I can always get a new kit!

(I can email the photos to you if you have trouble accessing abms or anything. I know some ISPs are odd)

Any assistance greatly appreciated. Thank you.

~ Tracy

Reply to
Tracy & the SWAMPdogs

The best single source for your model would probably be a "yearbook" for the MTANG if you can find one.These were very popular up until about 1967 and even today a few have come out for special circumstances (the 24th ID one from Desert Storm being very good).

I have picked up a number of similar items and it shows you more than any other source an accurate view of the markings used by the units at that point in time.

If you live anywhere near Montana you could try to get to the state HQ as I am sure someone there has copies of the books and you could look at them. Would probably have a photo of your grandfather as battalion commander, too. If not, by writing to them someone should be able to help you out.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne