making bulletholes

Hi, all !

I'm finishing a 1/72 Mitsubishi Dinah that was forced down on a beach for a diorama.

pictures of the forum show the Dinah on an old Matchbox dio for the time being, no panic, things'll get better than that. ;-) I hope ! I would like to put some bulletholes in it. Anybody any idea how to make that realistic ? A hot needle does not give the right effect as you get an edge standing up instead of a real inward impact.

TIA

Trikke

Reply to
patrick antoni

Use a wire drill bit - thin the area from the back side first, and then drill the hole. Then use something with a blunt, round tip - like a ball point pen - to form the indented bullet entry curvature surrounding the hole.

Another method that looks REALLY good is to replace the skin of the "damaged" area with a patch of aluminum foil and them form your holes and tears in that. A bit more work, though.

Reply to
Rufus

If you are doing large 1:72 aircraft or those in larger scales, you can also us the thin aluminum sheets used by printers. These sheets are very thin and can be cut with scissors. Replace the plastic with the aluminum and drill and set the detent as described above. You can use a fine scissors or wire cutter to cut in the tears. What is really effective it to use this for the exit damage of the round. Cutting out a flower from the larger hole and peeling back the petals to show the explosive force of the round. Small hole in...big hole out! This material can also be used to make internal components of the aircraft such as struts and ribs. I make them then twist and mangle them to recreate battle damage. Much more effective than styrene especially on large scale aircraft and vehicles..

Reply to
Hawkeye

I remember when toothpaste came in metal tubes, those were popular to use as damaged skin areas.

Reply to
frank

Before gluing any parts together, thin out the plastic from the inside wherever you want bullet holes or tears with a dremel tool and grinding stone. Use the dremel at a slow speed lest you burn the plastic. Keep checking the thickness as you go. Afterwards, punch holes in the thinned plastic with a needle or pin. See my "Dead Oscar" over in ABMS.

Reply to
willshak

Yeah, not unlike the metal tubes that Squadron putty comes in......

Reply to
The Old Man

Yeah I remember those days too...weren't they made of lead? Probably the reason most of us are nuts (about modeling)!

Reply to
Hawkeye

Or silicone glues, construction glues, etc. ISTR you can by lead sheets at plumbing &/or roofing supply places.

Reply to
frank