Micheals

This store looked too crafty to me at 1st,but looking at it more,there is quite a few items in there especially when they're on sale.Picked up some acrylic paints 2 fl.oz. for .79 cents,clearence i guess,there is a wide range of colors too.Thes are the Folk Art line if anyones interested.

Reply to
teem

You're lucky. We have a couple Michaels in town and their prices are typically above almost anyone else. When models go on sale the sale price is what you'd probably find it for in a mom & pop hobby shop. Their one redeeming factor is that they ahve a coupon in every Sunday paper for 40% any one regularly priced item thats good for the week. Sometimes they have a 50% off, maybe 2-3 times a year. Thats how I bought my Badger airbrush. Grandpa John

Reply to
John DeBoo

They do sell some nice paintbrushes- I generally pick mine up from them. The store here (actually Palm Desert) has zero hobby materials, though.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

The one here moved into the old Grant's store that AC Moore vacated. Now they sit across the parking lot from each other. On the whole, I prefer the Michael's. AC's model supplies and kits have almost withered away. We don't get a coupon every week but when we do I try to use it for supplies although once I picked up a die-cast '41 Chevy coupe that tickled my fancy. Their brushes are very nice and I've picked up some Krylon Short Cuts paints. I intend to use Bonnet Blue on my '64 Comet that I bought from Fred Sterns. The model selection at Michael's is much more robust than AC's if a tad old.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Question:

Is that 40% off coupon in the paper any special day of the week? I haven't seen anything like that here in Baltimore's Sunpapers, but I may have missed it.

Bill Shuey

Jim Atk>

Reply to
William H. Shuey

It's an internet coupon as far as I know:

Headed that way this evening to see if there's anything that strikes my fancy

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Reply to
John DeBoo

They have these kid's things on Saturdays; last week they were giving away AMT Slammers for free. The idea is that parent and child build it there together, but most of them were making a stab at it then taking it home. I like the way those Slammers look, so I felt like I should take every kid in the neighborhood over and confiscate the kits. But also, the Slammers are pretty easy to build for kids and do end up with a decent looking model; although most of the kids weren't managing to put them together. What was funny was all the mothers said the same thing when they got part way through: We'll take it home and have Daddy put it together. It's kind of depressing.

teem

I'm in the baltimore area too.We get the michaels ad in the mail in the free supplement to the Sun paper,and in the Maryland Gazette. This week it's 40 percent off at both Michaels and AC Moore. Now if they only had 1/72 airplanes and acrylic paint I might get to use them...

Reply to
eyeball

The local Michaels has Testors SBD's and Corsairs (the old Hawk kits) in

1/72 for about $6.00. At least you don't have a wing seam to fill!

:-)

Reply to
Wildcat

I've bought 5 or 6 of each...great way to practice unusual paint schemes.And only @ $3.50 with the coupon.

Reply to
eyeball

My Michaels does have lots of models, though don't remember whether they have 1/72 scale or not. They only carry Testors enamels as model paints, though they do have acrylics in their other crafts section. However, since Testors enamel is my favorite model paint, this is fine for me.

AND- the 40% coupon is in the paper more than every other week.

Also, I buy a lot of materials from Michaels that are good for modeling. I have bought metallic thread that makes good modern metal clad hoses, lots of wire in different gauge and color, various beads and little things (small metal covered beads make good lever handles, etc.). Also airbrush parts, bottles, etc.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

And they do sell Airbrushes and compressors!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Yes, some of the goodies back in the dollhouse section are usable for car modellers.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

That 40% off coupon for one item at regular price from Hobby Lobby would go far if someone needs a new airbrush. We generally think of using it on model kits but the Iwata Revolution at $109 becomes $65 and change. Today was the last day of the sale.

No, I didn't buy another airbrush?just a couple of kits over the week.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Or for those who build wooden ships. Our 3 stores have just started carrying the AL line of wooden kits, and 40% off the $190 price of the King of the Mississippi brings it down to $114.

John

Milt> That 40% off coupon for one item at regular price from Hobby Lobby would go

Reply to
John DeBoo