Model Display Showcases

Does anyone out there know where to get reasonably priced showcases? Either plastic or glass & wood or pvc. I have a series of ten carriers in 1/350th scale that I am building, the first completed being the Trumpeter Lexington CV-2. As there is a lot of fine detail that is easily damaged, I would prefer not to have them exposed to dust.

Can anyone recommend a source of showcases that they would fit in? Later will be the Tamiya Enterprise & Trumpeter Nimitz, so corresponding larger available sizes would be great!

Thanks in advance for your assistance

Bob Bartolacci

Reply to
Bob B

I've bought two cases from

they have a very wide selection of sizes and I thought quite reasonable prices. I'm quite pleased with the construction quality and clarity.

Also, if you can find a plastic fabricator in your area, you may be able to have something custom made for a reasonable price.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

One thing that you can try is to check out businesses that are renovating or (shudder) going out of business. Sometimes you can pick up the display cases for a song. An added bonus is that these cases also lock to keep inquiring hands away from your work.

Reply to
The Old Man

It's easy enough to build your own showcase without much carpentry skills ... Go to your local Home Despot and pick up some Laminated pine boards (general quite inexpensive) , screw them together to make a rectangle of the size you require with more boards (if wanted) for shelving , they also have pre made plastic sliders for top and bottom . Then at a plastic shop get two clear plastic pieces cut to place in the front . That way you can place multiple models , dust free , for display . If you clear coat the wood , once built , you will have a beautiful cabinet you can display for anything , anywhere .

I can give you a more detailed description if you want to build one .

I know some people have limited area and skills/tools but this way you can build it any size you want and all you need is a hand saw , drill and screwdriver .

noddy

Reply to
noddy

SNIP

I bought a used store display case from a local store fixtures dealer. It's about 6 feet long and 48 inches high with three levels (2 are glass shelves) for display. New ones are expensive -- at least for me.

Reply to
robbelothe

You don't mention if you want individual cases or one case to display all. For the former, I suggest that you get out your Yellow Pages and find a plasic distributor in your area. Many will cut to your dimensions and even finsh (sand and polish) the edges. A few will assemble it for you.

I have used this method a number of times and then fitted the case over my own base for individual models. If you assemble it yourself (as I do), I found that Tenax 7R will bond most acrylics just fine. I use small brass screws to attach the case to the bases, which have a felt pad on the bottom. Tip: align the case and drill your pilot holes before felting the base - this will alow the acrylic to not drag and scratch your wife's fine furniture.

If you want one case for all the models, then you can either make one as another suggested (plenty of books on cabinets and storage ideas at Lowes or Home Depot), or have a woodworker friend do one for you. Having one done by a professional cabinet maker will be costly, but it will look like you want it.

I can e-mail a picture of a case I made for a Revell USS Lexington (CVT-16) that I have. This was done in 1980. If enough of you want to see it I can post it to the group as well.

John Alger IPMS 10906 Charlotte Scale Modelers

Reply to
John

I found 2 places when I was working on a submarine for a coworker. Both do custom work one in plastic and the other in glass, case prices are reasonable for custom work and response time is quick.

Reply to
Spaceman

I purchased my display case at a furniture store where I usually buy my home furnishings. I spotted this one 'On Sale' and it was marked way down. Look for cases that are scratched or may have broken or missing glass/shelves. Replacing the glass yourself can be less expensive that having the furniture store doing it. You might find yourself a real bargain. If your looking for cases just for the model itself, talk to your local industrial plastics supplies distributor, sometimes they'll do custom fabrication to keep their staff busy during slow spells. If they don't see if they'll cut the acrylic panels to your specs and sell you some Weld-On 3. The rest is as simple as building a model.

Reply to
Hawkeye