Modelcraft Shackleton- opinions?

Yes, I know this is the ancient Frog kit I built in 1968 or so, yes, I remember the millions of rivets, but is the reboxing worthwhile? How are the decals? I can't help it- I'm enamored of contrarotating propellers.

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Decals are very nice. The kit however bears many scars. It almost looks like the moulds were used to smuggle in diamonds or something. Still, if you're going to sand off the surface detail, flaws and all, then it will probably turn out well. At least I still have expectations for mine someday.

Reply to
Ian Maw

Since you mentioned the rivets...

This particular kit has the most pronounced rivets I've ever seen on an aircraft model kit. Period. It's almost like a pin cushion. That's not to say that it's necessarily a bad thing. You can get such a non-slip grip on these parts that they would NEVER slide out of your hands. I personally think it's kind of cool. ;^)

In his book "Remembering Revell Model Kits", Thomas Graham reveals Revell's rationale for adding rivets to their early airplane kits. Revell felt that the rivets were a simple way of adding the appearance of detail to what would otherwise be just a smooth plastic surface. Back then, people would think "Wow, look at all those rivets! What great detail!". I think many other manufacturers of the day believed the same thing and added rivets to their kits too.

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

It used to be said that the Shackleton was "ten thousand rivets flying in close formation".

The RAF even had a drinking song about Shackletons.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

ISTR many model kits had rivets where the real a/c had either flush rivets or no rivets at all. ISTR the old Airfix Corsair had dozens of raised rivets where the real one had none at all, much less round-head ones.

Reply to
frank

That brings up the question whether total removal of the rivets on the Shack is the best way to go. Should they just be reduced?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller