Motorizing small model boats.

I always wanted to do it but balked somewhat at the size of the
motors, batteries, RC equipment, etc. to fit into the 1/72 Revell PT
boat, the Tamiya Vosper MTB or the 1/350 ships.
Anyway this is the final idea.
I just bought a 10 pack of cell phone vibrator motors for $9.90 from
Princess Auto, a Canadian hardware and tool place that has a good
section on salvaged equipment parts and components. Cutest little
motors I ever saw. I'll have to remove the unbalanced weight (that's
the vibration generator.)
The motor has the diameter of a pen barrel. The motor itself is 5/8"
length, has a tiny 1/4" long shaft extension and a pair of 1/2"
contact leads. The motor's contact leads are a pair of sprung fingers
that can easily be pressed onto a PCB (prototype board or custom
made). The motor's plastic housing has a flat side. It will therefore
be quite easy and convenient to mount the motor on a PCB and have the
sprung leads touch conductor pads and that connect to a mounted
battery pack and other electronics on the same PCB.
I envisage that I can remove the servo motor from a RC unit and
resolder the leads to the trio (or quartet) of cell phone motors and
power all the "scale" propellers in a multi-shaft boat. This way I
will have full RC forward and reverse plus speed control using
commonly available servo circuitry. The motors are so tiny that the
servo circuitry should be able to handle the power draw. I am quite
impressed by the motor's output on just one AA cell. Speed is not
important, just the ability to make everything fit into a
electronically and mechanically compact and light package.
Reply to
KLM
I RC'd a Vosper several years ago. I wanted it to perform more than looking to scale. I upsized the rudders, and used a single motor/drive. In order to move enough water to make it work, I used the 1" prop from the Nichimo 200 scale Yamato. I also used a servo control for a speed control. I've posted some pics in rec.models.scale. It's a little dusty. It worked great going forward at full speed, but maneuvered poorly at slow forward for obvious reasons when you look at the pictures. Turned on a dime in reverse.
Reply to
Chris C.