Mustang X

In 1942, Rolls-Royce converted four Mustang Is into Merlin testbeds. I have seen drawings and photographs of these aircraft, but I still have some questions.
First, does anyone know if these were known as the Mustang X as in "experimental" or as Mustang "ten" as in the Roman numeral?
Second, what was the purpose of the enlarged nose intake? Did it house a supplemental radiator or an enlarged oil cooler or ducts for the Merlin's supercharger or a combination of these?
Third, the propeller and spinner appear different from those used on production Merlin Mustangs. To me, they look a lot like the units used on the Spitfire VIII or IX.
I'd appreciate any information anyone might have on these points.
Mike wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Mustang_Mk.X
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_P-51_variants#Mustang_X
<http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/BARC/BARC_experimental_mustang_mk_X.html
"Rolls-Royce Mustang Mk.X
Five prototype conversions only two Mustang Mk.I airframes were initially trial fitted with Rolls-Royce Merlin 65 engines in mid-late 1942, in order to test the performance of the aircraft with a powerplant better adapted to medium/high altitudes. The successful conversion of the Packard V-1650 Merlin-powered NAA P-51B/C equivalent rendered this experiment as superfluous. Although the conversions were highly successful, the planned production of 500 examples was cancelled."
--
- Rufus