My little trip down insanity lane...

Hello all. I wanted to share my experiences with a model product with you. Some of you may be familiar with a German company named Preiser. They make, among other things, military figures in 1/72 scale. Some time ago I ordered two different sets because the poses really appealed to me. I create lots of vignettes in 1/72 scale, and yet my preferrences are for non-action scenes. Therefore any time I find good poses of figures walking, standing, or even sitting I am interested. What I didn't know until I got my two sets are that the Preiser product come unassembled. If any of you build 1/35 figures for your dioramas and such, you know how many pieces they come in. Separate legs, torso, arms, head, helmet, and any gear they carried. This is the same with these figures. Imagine my shock to see tiny bags, canteens, and even daggers! Nowhere on the boxes, or in any dealership info does it say these figures must be assembled.

So here I am, writing to say I've successfully completed 3 of the figures for a tiny scene. These 3 figures consist of 37 separate parts. Geez. :-) Three down, nine more to go..... Oh, and this is only the "soldiers marching" set. I also have another ten figures in a "soldiers resting" set.

Pity I cannot put photos here. I'm going to attempt putting some on the "alt" site, and would be pleased if any of you wanted to view them. I'll post again when I've gotten pics of them on. For now, take care everyone, and happy building!

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

They are following the "philosophy" made famous by Historex. Historex figures even had things like separate buckles and buttons. There were really no "instructions", as there was not really any "right way" to assemble them. They were meant simply as a "raw canvas" to create from. Historex even sold the parts separately. You could buy parts such as "galloping horse body - right side", "horse head", etc., in order to create whatever you wanted.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

That's not the worst part. Preiser uses the same basic molds for nearly all of a given set of figures (e.g. say Luftwaffe) and then pantographs them up or down to fit the need.

You can find the same basic figure in civilian clothes in any scale from Z Gauge (1/220) to G Gauge (1/22.5). I have some US modern infantry in 1/87 and still haven't figured out how to do the DCU version of the uniform in that scale!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Sounds likejust the thing for those looking for crew figures for that Revell 1/72 type VIIC U-Boat!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Thanks for the info. I've got their Luftwaffe set, maybe I ought to open it and take a look! They've got an extensive line in a lot of scales, are you using magnification? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper