My plan if Kerry wins

If Kerry wins the election tomorrow, I plan to get out my partially completed Monogram P-40B, finish it, and hang it from the ceiling. OTOH if Bush wins, I figure I'll finish my partially completed AM A-36 and put it on a display base. If Nader wins, I'll go back to putting an interior in my Williams Bros. B-10.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

I have yet to see that B-10 kit in a completed stage...

...and with more like *you*...

I *never* will!

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

That's probably better than flogging yourself with a cat o' nine tails! :-) Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I have seen the kit finished, a couple of them as a matter of fact. The builder was a retired Glenn L. Martin engineer who had started at GLM when they were finishing the 6 aircraft for Siam (Thailand) and doing some final work on the Dutch contract. He did one in Siamese markings (aircraft were overall white) and a Dutch ship and an Argentinean aircraft if I remember correctly. Nice work too. I've got one of the last 1/48 scale kits out of Lone Star's run sitting on the shelf, hope to do it in U.S Markings.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Okay...

Bush wins: try to work on the High Planes Mustang X. It might allow me to concentrate on something for four years other than politics.

Kerry wins: try to work on the High Planes Mustang X. Anything might be doable.

Nader wins: try to work on the High Planes Mustang X. The world will be going to hell anyway.

Election remains up in the air for a month: that's one place the High Planes Mustang X will never get, so I'll have to work on something else.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Hmm...

If Kerry wins, I'll commence down-scaling a 1:72 Retriever Rocket to 1:144.

If Bush wins, I'll go straight to the 1:2500 Reliant that finally (finally!) arrived yesterday.

If Nader wins, I might as well start scratch building an Akira in

1:2500.

If Ohio becomes the Florida of 2004, I'll have to put a bunker around the house with a pillbox to take care of any journalists that try to enter.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

I have the parts to a Retriever Rocket with some delta wings salvaged from a Lindberg Avro Vulcan. I'm thinking about making a 1:72 fourth stage to the Manned Orbital Launch Vehicle. Do you know anywhere I might find some drawings of it that I could scale up? Thanks,

The Old Timer

If Bush wins, how about having Texas based Squadron give us a subscriber special. It's been way too long.

Craig

Reply to
who me?

Politics has no place in modelling - ignore the vote and do all three!! :-)

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

You'll have to ask Squadron about that. They're not part of my plan because I don't control what they do.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Ultimately I do plan to finish all three, so all that's really at stake here is the order.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Well, if you can't find his book, _The Exploration of Mars_ (I don't know if he has drawings, but he used photos from Disney), Rick Dunning did a drawing of it (plan view only) for Ron Miller's book, _The Dream Machines_ and Jon C. Rogers did a plan, side profile, and bottom view for his and Jack Hagerty's _Spaceship Handbook_. Be warned, both those books are in the

600-700 page range, many drawings, and color reproduction, and pricey. If you don't want to pay that much for just that (although they have -to use an advertising slogan- "Much, Much More!"), you might look for the Disney DVD of Tomorrowland.

Photo reference:

(he's standing next to a drawing)

(copy of the model kit diagram)

I'm planning on using 5/8 inch dowel (yes, a bit bigger than half the 1 1/8 inch diameter of the kit). The toughest part will be for me to carve the nose. Fortunately, the dowel comes in a length that leaves me enough for practice, for a cargo version (merely a long bullet shape), a tanker (a longer bullet), and the ferry.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

Thanks for the links. I have a copy from the Ron Miller book; I'll have to look up "Spaceship Handbook" Considering the nose caps, have you thought about the prefab nosecones for model rockets like Estes? THey come in a lot of sizes and might be of some help.

Me, I'm looking for some cones as well, offset so that one side is a right triangle instead of uniform all around the circumfrance. Sort of like this:

/\ /| / \ / | /__\ /_ |

Front Side

Ever come across anything like it in your travels? (I do have four but I'm not giving up on that Revell XSL-01 - I want to build that sometime next spring) I need several to cap off "booster stages" for a larger static scratch-built launch vehicle (no particular type, just rather generic) to carry a kit-bashed spaceplane. The bottom diameter of the cones should be around a 2" diameter and the height should be no more than 3". I figure at least four and hopefully more to get me going. Thanks,

The Old Timer

Yes, the Spaceship Handbook is oriented towards model rocketeers (although they admit that things like the rotating space station are probably more suited to a static display). From it I learned a wonderful word, ogive, for these rounded cones, and that their silhouette is a section of a large circle centered somewhere off the centerline if the nose cap. Alas, I don't know if the companies have a standard to specify the type of ogive I'd want, or if I should wander up and down the aisle til I find something that "looks right."

If it's a straight-sided cone, have you thought of rolling your own from sheet plastic? Tape one edge along a ruler and wrap around a conveniently sized disk. (From my experiments this morning, a convenient cylinder would work better, you could tape the ruler to it.) From my experiments with paper this early in the morning, I can only make it work with two sheets, meeting again on the opposite side.

Reply to
Jack Bohn

Looks like you're doing the A-36 :-)

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Yep. Went back to working on it yesterday. The P-40 will just have to wait.

Reply to
Joe Jefferson

Perhaps in 4 years time, Kerry will try again and then you'll have an opportunity to finish the P-40 :-P

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Oh, please, please do Mr. Kerry. Maybe he'll have signed an SF

180 by then...... ;-p
Reply to
Al Superczynski

Thanks for the tip! Worst case, I can use them as masters to make molds for a little resin casting. I'll look them up presently.

The Old Timer

And the address would be??????

The Old Timer