New Product (was: Rub N Buff)

Hey guys,

I picked up a product today, which I had never seen before. It is called "Mixing Metal Powder", by an outfit called "Mona Lisa Products" (address below). I found it at Hobby Lobby for $5.99, for a "1 oz net weight" jar (which looks to be about 3/4 cup, volume-wise).

They had "silver" (which I bought), "gold", "brass", and "copper". I have not opened it, and tried it yet; but I thought I would relay the discovery to you all, in case anyone else is interested.

As far as the earlier thread regarding "Rub N Buff"; I have always found it to be an excellent product; whether for brush painting metallic details, or in "buffing" a metallic finish on large surfaces. Sure, it takes forever to cure, and lifts easily unles sealed...but I a film believer that every model *must* be permanently attached to a display base... (If I were running IPMS...guess which new "law" I would want to implement?...lol)

Regarding the simulation of natural metal surfaces; I have always "sensed" that the "metallic shiny-ness" aspect is of less importance than the surface texture. On natural metal surfaces, there is a characteristic "grain", or "scratch-iness", that is unlike that of painted-silver surfaces. It is these "scratches" that give the surface that unique look. Probably the finest example I have ever seen on a model, was a B-58 done years ago by Jamie Pye. The finish was *not* overly shiny, but each panel had been pre-buffed; to give it that "scratchy" finish. The natural metal finish he then used (I forget which), naturally revealed each little scratch and buff mark. Each panel buffed independently; and in differing directions; really gave it that "natural metal" look.

Mixing Metal Powder

Mona Lisa Products

10770 Moss Ridge Road Houston, TX 77043-1175 (800)272-3804 (713)462-1783 Fax email: snipped-for-privacy@houstonart.com
Reply to